The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another rare DeSoto - 1958 CONVERTIBLE
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

RustyNewYorker
Posted 2004-09-30 10:34 PM (#14378)
Subject: Another rare DeSoto - 1958 CONVERTIBLE

I'll post pictures later. Anyone want one? It's a Firedome or Fireflite, the big one with the same chassis as a New Yorker. #5 book is $4700 on this one. This car is restorable, the crap I have now makes it look like a new car. Frame is good - I climbed on the bumper and shook the car. It's not sunk in the mud, the trunk pan, quarters, rockers are all good - even the right fender top is solid. Left fender top has rust, I am sure it needs some pans as the top cloth is gone. Motor is all there, might even turn, looks real good with 4bbl carb on it (a poly motor). Black with black and white interior. Car is 95% complete or better, jack is even in the trunk. PM me or e-mail me, work something out and it's yours.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RustyNewYorker
Posted 2004-10-01 4:22 PM (#14403 - in reply to #14378)
Subject: RE: Another rare DeSoto - 1958 CONVERTIBLE

Looks like I have 4 people on this - thanks guys.
RustyNewYorker
Posted 2004-10-02 6:48 PM (#14459 - in reply to #14403)
Subject: pictures

Or maybe I don't. We'll see what happens I guess -

This is what it looks like -

(58Desotoconv1b.JPG)

(58Desotoconv2b.JPG)

(58Desotoconv3.JPG)

(58desotoconv4.JPG)

(58desotoconv5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58Desotoconv1b.JPG (27KB - 212 downloads)
Attachments 58Desotoconv2b.JPG (54KB - 240 downloads)
Attachments 58Desotoconv3.JPG (45KB - 212 downloads)
Attachments 58desotoconv4.JPG (65KB - 224 downloads)
Attachments 58desotoconv5.JPG (44KB - 212 downloads)
1958Paul
Posted 2004-10-09 12:09 AM (#14907 - in reply to #14459)
Subject: RE: pictures

Veteran

I think I hear Jesus weeping...
plymouth
Posted 2004-10-11 7:35 PM (#15073 - in reply to #14378)

Expert

i dont think i know jesus is weeping
cooldude
Posted 2004-10-14 12:05 PM (#15316 - in reply to #14378)

Is it even possible to restore that car? It sure would be a beauty if someone could, but forward look cars are so hard to find parts for :-( If not for that, i would have kept my 60 Plymouth. It would be nice if there were re-manufactured parts for these cars. Just as there are for Impalas and 55-57 Ch**y's. That Desoto sure would be a beauty though.

BAHAHA!! That is awesome. I'm new to posting here and i just noticed Ch**y is considered a curse word!! lol

Edited by cooldude 2004-10-14 12:07 PM
Gidman
Posted 2004-10-14 2:45 PM (#15325 - in reply to #14378)

Extreme Veteran

Well I have a 58 Firedome Convertible and this picture is the living embodiment of my nightmare!!

Hey this could be the beginning of the new Christine sequel??
Ian
Posted 2004-10-14 3:25 PM (#15329 - in reply to #14378)

That car is definately not beyond saving. Man, I've seen much worse cars than that brought back to life.
What were production figures for this car, 500 or so? It's just got to be saved and eventually restored.
mrrmopar
Posted 2004-10-14 10:59 PM (#15369 - in reply to #15329)

id pay 500 for it if you got a title.keep in mind it will take about 25000 to get that car into shape
RustyNewYorker
Posted 2004-10-14 11:42 PM (#15377 - in reply to #15369)
Subject: SAVED

Brought this one home today.

it's not as good as it looks - usual mopar frame cancer. Not sure what I want to do with her yet. Anyone know if I can use that '59 Plymouth rear frame section on this? arch is probably the same, might not be long enough though. Pretty much everything from the kickup back is there, but very very weak. Lots of rust and some amatuer bodywork in the right side. Floors are pretty much gone, trunk is weak, I think the only reason it's in one piece is it does through some miracle still roll.

But it has one good fender, has power windows, hood's nice, inner fenders, rest of frame's decent. all i see missing is the radiator and most of the side stainless. I found a parts car I might be able to cut up - I can at least get the other fender and another set of doors out of it.

Oh, and $500? I could sell the stainless off the windshield and get more than that. Give me a break. After I spent 10 hours on the road and have been awake the last 36 straight just on this car, I wouldn't take $5000 at this particular moment in time on it. In fact, I'd sooner take it somewhere and crush it personally than take $500 for it. Hell, I got more than three times that for the '59 Plymouth ragtop I unloaded when we got it home with the frame all in pieces. And that with no paperwork on it whatsoever.

Edited by RustyNewYorker 2004-10-15 12:00 AM
62chrysler
Posted 2004-10-15 3:04 PM (#15401 - in reply to #14378)

Account Suspended (Steve Hobby Alias)

How about a frame from a 59 Coupe?  I think I got one of those, but it's in Florida.  Would have to figure out how to get it here.  I do have a truck coming up around thanksgiving, but it's only a pick-up  Be kinda' tough to deal with
RustyNewYorker
Posted 2004-10-15 3:29 PM (#15402 - in reply to #15401)
Subject: More pictures

That would probably work. Someone offered up a '57 New Yorker 4dr ht parts car (someone must have robbed the 392 out of it), too.

Of course, all I need is from about 6" ahead of the rear spring perch, to the back. The Plymouth I was just going to take a generator and my reciprocating saw out and cut the back off the frame, cut the U-bolts and leave the rearend there too. That coupe frame won't have the convertible X member in it. Toss up as to what's easier - cut the X out and put it in another frame, or put another ass-half on it.

I don't know, I had some decent offers on it but they were thinking it had a good frame. I may just pass it on and find a hardtop instead. There's a lot more to pick from that all need to be saved. If I sell it, I can go back and buy two or three more and maybe have one with a parts car.

That red '59 Plymouth I posted has been scrapped.

Edited by RustyNewYorker 2004-10-15 3:46 PM

(58Desotoconv18.JPG)

(58Desotoconv19.JPG)

(58Desotoconv20.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58Desotoconv18.JPG (52KB - 202 downloads)
Attachments 58Desotoconv19.JPG (50KB - 211 downloads)
Attachments 58Desotoconv20.JPG (30KB - 199 downloads)
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-10-15 6:30 PM (#15413 - in reply to #14378)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Too bad you didn't have that car, or was on this site 2 years ago.
I spent over 4 years (5?) looking for a '57, 8, 9 Chry/DeS Convt parts car such as that, (plus bugging ALL of the longtime members on the old site to keep a lookout). I'd have givin' you your 5K for it. I was wanting to convert a 'D' hardtop I had, into a legit convt, using factory pieces.
Only ran into 3 'vert parts cars in that time. A another DeS like yours, up in New Hamshire, that had been buried, then dug up 20 years later. The only thing any good was the windshild chrome. Even the heavy side top side frame was rusted in two.
I missed a VERY (lower) rusty, but complete, 300-C convt by a couple of days, for 5K, WITH paperwork!. I was talking to a two owner yard out in Iowa, had a '59 DeS. While I was talking to the one owner, the other owner was selling the car over to Sweeden.
That is when I was on a samll Canadian car web site looking, and stumbled onto this stick, Belvy convt for sale. (don't you pay NO mind to what the 'Psycho Eric' up there sez)
Not every day a '58 Belvy Convt drops into yer lap. Plus with the $$ exchange rate, I could afF**d to buy this Ply!
So sold the 300-D and bought the Ply.
Just thought I'd add my ten cents worth.

RustyNewYorker
Posted 2004-10-15 7:24 PM (#15416 - in reply to #15413)

The kicker is it was there two years ago, 10 years ago, from the looks of it and the cars in the section they all came in around 1970-ish - what I could see anyhow of the remains of last inspection stickers were the style they last used about 1972. One car near this one is a 49 Merc 4dr someone did the mild custom workover on - different taillights, different park lights, looks like at least part of it was a lilac color at one time, etc etc. But without a loader you would either have never got it out, or torn it in two with a skidder pulling it down the hill.

I'm talking with a guy who's seen all the photos here and then some and still wants to try to restore it - and is offering me more like what the car is worth - so I may send it there.

Would love to hear the full story on this car that had been buried - why, when, why they bothered to dig it up, etc... Pictures?

Edited by RustyNewYorker 2004-10-15 7:28 PM
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2004-10-15 10:12 PM (#15424 - in reply to #15413)

Expert 5K+

Hey Rick (aka Julio) I would like to see pics of your 58 Ply conv. Can you put some up? You wanna see our 63 pan now that its self propelled?.......over........
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-10-15 10:24 PM (#15425 - in reply to #14378)

My Fireflite was scarcely better than this one before being "restored" the first time. The original work was to scab over the rusted areas with sheetmetal and pop rivets and call it done. It looked good at 10 paces, all shiney and Forward Lookin' and such, but underneath it was a real mess. To see it today, you would understand. The only body pieces left from the original factory assembly are the cowl, top well area, and the upper half of the body from the doors back. I junked the entire nose clip, the doors, the floors, the deck lid, and trunk pan, ... not to mention cutting away the bottom half of the quarters, wheel wells and some fair sized chunks of the lower cowl.

I got it as a complete, presentable, turn key rust bucket, in need of a restoration someday, .... but driveable today. My eventual restoration got expedited by many years by an inattentive driver and a red light. The poor DeSoto got caught in the middle.

Someone mentioned a 59 frame? No go. You will need a 57 or 58 big body Chrysler or DeSoto coupe frame, combined with the convertible X-member in the car now to build a correct frame. The rear end was changed on the 59's, making them incompatible. I went through this when I built my 58 Adventurer convertible back from another rusted hulk out of 371 parts cars! The frame was a pretty easy makeover. The factory put locating holes in the frames of all 2 doors, so the X-member dropped right in without much fuss at all. Building back all the sheetmetal and compound curves was another matter !!!!

Wish I had the cash to toss around for it right now. Looks like it was charcoal and turquoise. What a great color combo ! But what the hell am I thinking ? I already have one of these beasts plugging up my garage. What do I need with a second one ??? Sure would be nice to see a couple - three of these side-by-side though ...
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2004-10-15 10:26 PM (#15426 - in reply to #14378)

..... oh yeah, ... and guess what ? Mine originally came from New York TOO !!!!
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-10-16 12:18 AM (#15435 - in reply to #14378)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Steve, AKA Razzle Nuts!
Allready posted. Go into the members ride section, first page, very FIRST post.
Then go down to the region section, Pittsburgh, then go into "My Location"
ALL of those pictures were taken at last years' Waynesburg, PA '50's Fest.
Fearless Leader, AKA Father Forwardlook, had a loomnum (that's WV talk for aluminum) can for my ID picture. After posting the first picture in the member's ride section, he took the head shot and made it my ID picture. Since I don't know how.
Steve Hobby, the 'whoop-de-do' moderator on this site, posted a thing about my lack of 'puter skills, of "intel on the inside, friggin' idiot on the outside!" He has diarrhea of the fingers!
Couldn't make it this year, even though the convt was featured on the dash plaques, had to work, new job, since Nov, of '01.
Psychoholic
Posted 2004-10-16 12:51 AM (#15437 - in reply to #14378)

alumcanTandThd, I couldn't help but notice you had a '91 Superior! I have a '72 M-M and a '68 S&S, have you checked out the National Hearse and Ambulance Association?

I like that '58 Convertible. I like a good challenge!
RustyNewYorker
Posted 2004-10-16 1:11 AM (#15439 - in reply to #15435)

Hey, if you like a challenge -

That black '58 looks sharp... but I meant the car that was buried and dug up.... would be fun to have a photo of what must be the roughest possible one there was. Why the heck was it buried, and then why'd they bother digging it up...?

alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-10-16 10:36 AM (#15451 - in reply to #14378)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Steve/Rusty/Chris/Whoever else,,,,,,.
Sure! Any picutes of old Harleys! BTW I got a 'Pan' rocker box kit (Xoctic, however it'a spelled) with a couple of mod(s) by me, on my Evo.
Let me see,,,,,, Einstine, (Daven Anderson) out in Denver, posted a 'older taken' picture of my bike in the 'test' section someplace.
Yeah, there must be a lot of 'old school' and newer 'die hard' Harley riders, that's on this site! Couldn't be anything better?
I got several Forwardlook items on my bike. You see where almost everyone has Harley memoribila on their cars. Well, I have car memoribila on my Bike!
The dash insert has T & T "Tits and Tailfins" Right below that is the Fwdlk emblem embroidered.
My seat rail, I made. Instead of the 'V' in the middle, I made a Fwdlk emblem out of two differnt sized rods and welded in into the rail, then spent a $150. to get it chromed.
As far as the Hearse, or the correct name, Funeral Coach. Seems just about the month of October each year, (Halloween ?) ALL of the Hearse owners, or wannabes, on this site come out of the woodwork.
There have been several pictures of 'Forwardlook' hearses, posted on this site over the years.
Lucky you! You have two! Both running, presentible/show, condition?
My oldest daughter wanted a Hearse for her first car. She's NOT one of those 'vampire or Goth' people. She just cuts here hair on the short side. That is her standing next to me against the Belvy.
I even challenged her, if she'd get a 'Mohock' or a 'Don Eagle' hair do, I would too. Her response; your are weird Dad, and NO WAY would I wear my hair like that!
As you probably know, it's a lot of fun driving a Hearse! Lot of 'war stories.'
Best one I like, we (entire family. Oldest daughter had beern acting 7 years now, middle daughter, this is her 4th year, I have been head parking lot dude for 5 years, at the SteppingStones' Haunted Hayride! It benifits handicpped children) were on the way to the 'Hayride' I stopped to get gas. A couple of college aged girls pulled in behind me, in some rice car. One, got the nozzle out, and the other did the credit card.
Next thing I knew, both of those girls were screaming running across the parking lot towards Krogers!
I was thinking, what in the world got into them? Then I head giggling from inside the Hease. Here the youngest daughter, had put on the middle daughter's 'Scream' mack and hands, then poped up in the back window!
I was able to buy the Hearse on Ebay real cheap. The seller advertised the coach having only 51K miles. Anyone who did a carfax search on the VIN # yielded that the Coach actually had a HUNDRED and 51K miles!
My research, that a 11 year old Funeral Coach was impossible to accuire THAT kind of milage!
Especially when it was new untill retirement, in Jersey City, NJ which is right across the river from Ney York City!
NJ DMV by misteak, put a 1 in front fo the milage on ALL of the funeral home's fleet, when it was sold in '92 to a new owner. A 2, or 3 year old Hearse with 109,K miles!? NO WAY!
Plus the Coach was volonteered for a couple of days at ground zero. Guy sadi day 2 and 3.
I have looked in every book that had cleanup pictures of the WTC, seeing if I could spot the Coach in the background,,,,,. Haven been able to do so.
Yes, we even went to a Professional Car Society meet. Because we preregistered, they relunctantly, let us in. They did NOT like the dual exhaust, the checkerd floor, or the HARLEY stickers instie the wreaths on the sail panels, nor the Uniontown Harley Davidson plate on the front!
Go into www.hearsedriver.com click on the something, something, Wells song. Verse, I like, ",,,,,,I sure look good between the flags on the hood of a long black Cadillac. I drive a Hearse. It could be worse. I could be riding in the back!"
Rusty, it was common prctice to rid of cars by digging a hole and buring them. BIG example was Richard Petty. He said that they must have several million $$ worth of old race cars (Superbirds) buried under one of their garages!
I know of a '40 Buick Phaton, along side of a '56 Convt Roadmaster that was buried in 1960, then several years later, a two car garage was built on top of them here in 1970 soething.
Several towns over, back in the early 60's a guy had a picture of them buring a '54 Ply Convt. with the WIRE wheels! I spent hours/days, hand digging a hole trying to find that car a year later. Couldn't find it. (I wouldn't dig like that today at my age!)
Hank Dozier, rescued HIS '56 Adventurer (lowest NDC docomunted milage) that was placed along a creek bank to eleminate errosion. Common practice here, untill the EPA stepped in.
I had a list of every licensed Junk Yard in the US. I called this one up in NH, and he said his 'crazy' neighbor had dug up a '58 DeS convt and was trying to sell it.
I contacted this guy, (he WAS crazy! sounded like he touched the ground on every third step) he wanted $2,500 for the car, but described it as a NICE, almost running car.
I then got ahold of the Yard owner, to see if the contition macthed his description. "HELL NO"!
The yard owner, several months later, was able to go over and take some pictures for me.
You could see in the pictures the top frame was rusted in two. How much rust is actually there, that isn't visible in the pictures?
I have those pictures around here in the garage some place. I think I showed them to somebody on this site, Fearless? (too long ago)
The clear windshield (didn't looked cracked) and the trim around it, was the only thing any good, you could tell by the pictures.
In my search of something else, up there (the only way I waill ever find them) if I ever run across those pictures, I'll fire 'em either up, to you or S. Hobby to post.
Psychoholic
Posted 2004-10-16 3:50 PM (#15458 - in reply to #14378)

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Ok, Ok, ok, Funeral Coach.. =)

My '72 has a built 472 in it with ported heads, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake port matched to the heads, edelbrock 850 carb (jetted to 910 cfm), 2" primary headers 2 1/2" collectors to 2 chamber flowmaster turn downs with a custom H-pipe, etc... I have an 8-71 blower I'm hoping to have on before the Denver PCS meet in July (the guy throwing it is one of my best friends Zac from the Denver Hearse Association - we have to show up). She needs paint, but when I bought her she had 32k miles on her when I pulled her out of a junkyard (interesting thing was that nobody would take parts off, there was another hearse in the yard that was stripped almost clean, just this one made people real uneasy when they got near it so I got the complete car - owners manual still in the glovebox - for $2k cash and DROVE HER HOME!). Very straight, almost completely devoid of rust. Her name is 'Morticia' and she is my baby.

The '68 S&S was used in the funerals for 12 of the victims of the Wayne Williams murders in the 80's. The prior owner had all the documentation, but a dispute over something completely unrelated (I was trying to buy an old funeral home, and he broke in and stole a casket from there, the realtor called me the next day asking if I had done it because I had inquired to see if it would come with the property - then the jackass tried to sell the casket me!) meant that I would never have contact with him again.

The paint doesn't look that good anymore, but that's my car.

and the motor (has a mini-K&N on it now too)

and my wifes '68 (also doesn't look that nice anymore - needs paint on the other side):

MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2004-10-17 1:27 AM (#15486 - in reply to #15435)

Expert 5K+

Hey chicken legs, er I mean Rick. Found your pictures of the 58 conv. VERY nice car and I am so glad your lovely daughter does not look like you! Most people probably don't want to see MC pics on Forwardlook so I'll send 63 pan via email and a fun story about the first day shakedown ride. Will also send to other interested folks , just give me a email adress or PM......over.....
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-10-17 12:23 PM (#15512 - in reply to #14378)

Wise Old Village Idiot

I'm going to move this Hearse/Funeral Coach converstion over to the 'wreck room'
w.weiland
Posted 2010-01-03 8:33 AM (#203548 - in reply to #14378)
Subject: Re: Another rare DeSoto - 1958 CONVERTIBLE

Expert

Is it gone??
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2010-01-03 4:08 PM (#203624 - in reply to #203548)

This car went to Sweden, was cleaned up, and later offered for sale.
phins
Posted 2010-01-03 6:50 PM (#203644 - in reply to #14459)

Elite Veteran

After looking at these pics i don't have nothing to complain about my barn find conv. It needs floors and a trunk floor rockers and a radiator support and lower quarters. That should do it for me. Unless i run into some surprises later in the disassemble.

(passfloor1.jpg)

(left rear1.jpg)

(r rear.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments passfloor1.jpg (178KB - 256 downloads)
Attachments left rear1.jpg (114KB - 194 downloads)
Attachments r rear.jpg (131KB - 195 downloads)
Lancer Mike
Posted 2010-01-03 11:17 PM (#203682 - in reply to #203644)

Yep, Garry - that one was mighty rough but I think Bill sold it for a pretty fair price. As I recall, the new owner in Europe was trying to sell it along with a yellow sedan (package deal) for around $35,000 U.S. Your Firesweep is a walk in the park compared to that Firedome! I don't know if it ever sold. Wayne, you might try another search and see if you can find the thread where this was for sale again...

Edited by Lancer Mike 2010-01-03 11:19 PM
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-09-14 12:46 PM (#521238 - in reply to #203682)

Flash forward 12 years! Good save, Bill, Max - and several others, I'm sure.

Edited by Lancer Mike 2016-09-14 12:50 PM

(02 reduced 2.jpg)

(04 reduced.jpg)

(05 reduced.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 02 reduced 2.jpg (240KB - 154 downloads)
Attachments 04 reduced.jpg (217KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments 05 reduced.jpg (241KB - 127 downloads)
57burb
Posted 2016-09-14 5:03 PM (#521263 - in reply to #14378)

Expert

Well, that is one of the more impressive restorations I've seen. I really thought that poor old car was going to sacrifice the top mechanism to some 300 restoration.

Nice work! Do we know who did it?

(58Desotoconv1b.JPG)

(02 reduced 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58Desotoconv1b.JPG (175KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments 02 reduced 2.jpg (240KB - 127 downloads)
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-09-14 5:42 PM (#521265 - in reply to #521263)

Max Sokolov paid for the restoration. He did most of the heavy lifting on this one, but I am sure there was a whole cast of characters starting with Bill K. digging it out.
I can't remember seeing the data tag on this one. The old image appears to have (what's left of) a white top? It may not have started out with the fender ornaments, full wheel covers (is that a cap I see in the trunk), or the rear antennae, either.
It is now dressed out a lot like my car, only much, much better! Very well done.

We do have the data tag on this one: Code C2 - black top.

Edited by Lancer Mike 2016-09-14 7:58 PM
Powerflite
Posted 2016-09-14 6:04 PM (#521268 - in reply to #521265)

Expert 5K+

Wow, that's really nice. Is that air cleaner correct for a 4bbl motor? The 2bbl versions used one with an oval inlet.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-09-14 7:45 PM (#521273 - in reply to #521268)

Powerflite - 2016-09-14 4:04 PM

Wow, that's really nice. Is that air cleaner correct for a 4bbl motor? The 2bbl versions used one with an oval inlet.

Mine has the same air cleaner snorkel, so I would guess yes (at least for '58 De Soto Firedome without air conditioning)? My '58 Plymouth go-pak 318 had the oval snorkel. Several of my 4bbl '58 Dodges had the flop-over cleaner.
Powerflite
Posted 2016-09-14 8:16 PM (#521276 - in reply to #521273)

Expert 5K+

The 318 cleaner is a different beast. Much smaller and the snorkel is smaller too. The 325 air cleaner used the flop over style, but the 361 or 350 was different. Looks like the '58 Dodge ragtop you posted uses the same air cleaner that I have on my 361 2bbl Desoto. I would expect this one to be a 4bbl, but maybe not?

(58DodgeVertMotors.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 58DodgeVertMotors.jpg (157KB - 131 downloads)
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-09-14 9:08 PM (#521278 - in reply to #521276)

A couple of tiny little things for the new owner: I think the exhaust ports might be placed on the wrong sides and it needs a brake warning light.
1957sotos
Posted 2016-09-14 9:09 PM (#521279 - in reply to #14378)

Regular

Yes, very nice indeed! I sure hope he decides to run it with a battery holdown bracket.
Same with the red car. Have seen these slide around a bit.
ToMopar
Posted 2016-09-15 3:11 AM (#521289 - in reply to #14378)

Elite Veteran

I forget the nickname of the owner in europe. But I think to remember that he restore this 58 conv and a 57 conv
ToMopar
Posted 2016-09-15 6:10 AM (#521295 - in reply to #14378)

Elite Veteran

Here is the thread about the 58 Conv
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=44854&...

and here is the thread about the 57 conv
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40443&...

Maxim, (where are you) wo bist du ?
Chrome58
Posted 2016-09-15 2:23 PM (#521331 - in reply to #14378)

Expert

Impressive !
I wouldn't have bet a dollar on this one ...
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-09-16 10:25 AM (#521390 - in reply to #521265)

Lancer Mike - 2016-09-14 3:42 PM

We do have the data tag on this one: Code C2 - black top.

Correction! This one is Code C1 - black top.
C2 is the white top - that's what I have.

Those batteries look like they just put 'em in to move the car around.

Edited by Lancer Mike 2016-09-16 10:46 AM
toddst
Posted 2016-09-16 7:06 PM (#521417 - in reply to #14378)

Elite Veteran

I would love to see restoration photos of this car. I've shown some of my non-fwlk friends the before and after photos and they are crying foul-saying they aren't the same car even though I tried to explain how rare these cars are..
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2016-09-17 11:42 AM (#521447 - in reply to #521417)

Who cares about some ugly-ass old DeSoto converible anyhow ???
AceS
Posted 2016-09-17 1:23 PM (#521457 - in reply to #521263)

Veteran

Those side by side before/after shots are fantastic. Unbelievable work.
Gidman
Posted 2016-09-18 3:51 PM (#521547 - in reply to #521447)

Extreme Veteran

Doctor DeSoto - 2016-09-17 8:42 AM

Who cares about some ugly-ass old DeSoto converible anyhow ???

Doc, you crack me up! Max stopped by my place wanting to purchase my Beast before he began work on this beauty. Nice guy! Wanting to put it in his car museum in Zurich! Said I could come over and drive it anytime! Well, I thought, I can drive it anytime now, why would I want to go to Zurich to drive it?

I am solidly amazed! Good work Max!!
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2016-09-18 10:27 PM (#521573 - in reply to #521547)

Gid,

I was told so many times what a piece of sh!t car I owned by so many
people ! Even had one date refuse to go out with me in it, saying it was
too embarrassing to be seen in.

Kinda like the being called a "maggot" in the USMC is a term of endearment,
I just came to embrace that I had the most awful, hideous eyesore of a car
ever made and laughed it off. I knew better and to hell with anyone who
says different. Let them enjoy the hell out of their trendy "latest fashion"
cars. What's their 78 or 82 Datsun Z-car worth today ? How embarrassing
is it to be seen these days ?

Yeah, ... I'll take that ugly-ass old POS any day. You clowns can keep your
"fashionable" new cars. Thanks.

fast59desoto
Posted 2016-09-19 2:30 PM (#521631 - in reply to #14378)

Elite Veteran

Max had my 58 firedome conv to wonder if he got it done?
mstrug
Posted 2016-09-19 3:05 PM (#521634 - in reply to #14378)

Expert 5K+

All it takes is money, time. patience and...skill! Marc.
BSoto
Posted 2016-09-20 6:43 AM (#521675 - in reply to #14378)

Veteran

It's a real credit to Max and his dedication to get this car done. Lots of people would like to have it, but few have the energy to see it through to the end. Beautiful result, beautiful colors.

Nice job, Max.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-09-20 11:05 AM (#521700 - in reply to #521631)

fast59desoto - 2016-09-19 12:30 PM

Max had my 58 firedome conv to wonder if he got it done?

Jeff, I met a fellow at the Colorado MoPar show this summer who said he bought all of Max's remaining project cars, including the one you used to have. This fellow said there was enough to build three Firedome convertibles.
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-09-20 11:40 AM (#521703 - in reply to #521700)

In the USA, I think there are now four magnificently restored '58 Firedome convertibles, two drivers (Gary's and mine), and three projects [nine cars that I am aware of - there must be more out there].
I think there are three magnificently restored '58 Adventurer convertibles in the USA (one EFI) and two '58 Fireflite convertible projects in the USA [again, there must be more out there].
I don't have any good handle on '58 Firesweep convertibles remaining in the USA or the many '58 De Soto convertibles in other countries.
I know other countries have restored or running examples of all four model convertibles plus Diplomat convertibles.

Where and when will the next one surface? It is better than Pokémon Go!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)