The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"Make-Up" your Car!
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

sermey
Posted 2009-01-03 7:02 PM (#157713 - in reply to #156081)
Subject: RE: "Make-Up" your Car!

Expert

Rear Lamp Gaskets: No comments to the old / original Gasket.

I found High Precision Hydraulic Rings, self-centering inside, outside not overlapping at all, and they fit as tailored. The black Height of 1/4" is a nice separation between the White Body and the Rechromed Housing.

Another inconspicious "Make-Up".

Edited by sermey 2009-01-03 7:21 PM

(DSC02339L Old-New Rear Lamp Gaskets.jpg)

(DSC02342L New Rear Lamp Gasket Zoomed.jpg)

(DSC00091L New Rear Lamp Gasket.jpg)

(DSC00090L Left Rear Lamps Housings.jpg)

(DSC00008L Rear Lamp Gaskets.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02339L Old-New Rear Lamp Gaskets.jpg (36KB - 753 downloads)
Attachments DSC02342L New Rear Lamp Gasket Zoomed.jpg (47KB - 712 downloads)
Attachments DSC00091L New Rear Lamp Gasket.jpg (42KB - 741 downloads)
Attachments DSC00090L Left Rear Lamps Housings.jpg (82KB - 753 downloads)
Attachments DSC00008L Rear Lamp Gaskets.jpg (91KB - 734 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wbower3
Posted 2009-01-04 2:19 PM (#157777 - in reply to #156081)
Subject: Re: "Make-Up" your Car!

Walter passed away on Jul 29, 2014. We will miss you, Walt!

Sermy, I agree with Clive, KEEP this thread going!!! Walt
sermey
Posted 2009-01-04 4:47 PM (#157801 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Power Window Switches: These items are very hard to find. And when you have or found them, some Main-Connectors may be missing, often very corroded, bad for a good electrical Contact needed for proper Window lift. Thus, I modificated the single Pin Connectors, also in order to match to the dicker wire in Double Diameter.

There are many  Single Pin Connectors available in Size and in Shape. Round Connectors offer a better electrical Contact due to the bigger surface around the Pin. Here I used the biggest Round one (Yellow). Bonding to the wire it needs a special Handtool, or best is to solder them for best Tensile Strength, especially whe a high flexible Wire is used. Then I cut the Front of the single Male Contacts and soldered them on each Pin of the Power Switch (see picture).

Now the Power Window Cables can directly be connected to and removed  from the Power Window Switch as any other Cable. The missing or corroded Main Socket is not needed anymore. These Single Cable are of course as before accessible outside the Door Panel, when removing the Switch. Recommended  to label the Cables, the + Battery Line always to be Red.

This "soldered" Pin Contacting can be used as well on the Instruments Panel.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-04 5:12 PM

(DSC02361L Power Window Switch Connector.jpg)

(DSC02358L Round Pin Connectors.jpg)

(DSC02359L Cut Male Connector.jpg)

(DSC02365L Soldered Pin & Wire Connected.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02361L Power Window Switch Connector.jpg (70KB - 759 downloads)
Attachments DSC02358L Round Pin Connectors.jpg (55KB - 720 downloads)
Attachments DSC02359L Cut Male Connector.jpg (26KB - 764 downloads)
Attachments DSC02365L Soldered Pin & Wire Connected.jpg (50KB - 734 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-05 9:54 AM (#157860 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Fuel Pump: Many of you may have encountered the same Situation. You are attending a Car Show, enjoy a nice Day, and are even Candidate for an Award. Later Afternoon you go sitting in your Car, to drive it in to the Ramp or for go Home – many people around watching you and waiting to see the Car drive away. A first attempt to start the car,  a second time, a third time again, sometimes until one Minute till running  – what a Disgrace in this admired Car!

Firstly I decided to put a Replacement Electric Fuel Pump. Later I thought, one Electric Element more in the Pump risking to fail one day, and remembering my aim to restore at anytime to its Original when I should like. I searched for another Solution:

I added a second (electric) Fuel Pump to the already existing (mechanic) Original one in parallel. It is a Round Type with axial Ports, Inlet down-side, Outlet up-side, mounted by a Hose Bracket to the lower Generators Arm. The two Inlets using a Branch Connector (Y) lead to the Fuel Tank Line. Each of the other two Outlets are provided with an one-way Valve before joining together by using another Branch Connector (Y), according the Picture “Fuel Flow Diagram”. The closest +12V ignition-switched Electric Power is diverged from the near Wire leading to the Electric Choke, the Ground (-) to the Bracket Screw. The Picture's View is Down-Up, the second Pump is hardly visible from Top.

To know: As a matter of physical principle, at running engine only one Fuel Pump delivers Fuel to the Carburetor. It's the one generating the higher Pressure, forcing the other Valve to close and avoiding the Fuel to backflow. When one Pump is failing, the other Pump will take over at any instance.

First switch ON the Ignition, listen to the hardly audible buzz of the running Electric Fuel Pump. When the Sound lowers in Frequency means the Carburetor is adequately supplied with Fuel and the Engine ready to start. Can see when the Glass Fuel Filter has no Air anymore. Then go on by switching to the Starter Position. Now, the Car starts immediately at any circumstances. Furthermore, the already activated and thus pre-heated Electric Choke turns the Engine earlier to the lower Idle Speed.

Just start and drive away – and happy End of the Car Shows to come!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-05 10:44 AM

(DSC02376L Replacement Electric Fuel Pump.jpg)

(DSC02375L Fuel Flow Diagram.jpg)

(DSC02372L Dual Fuel Pumps.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02376L Replacement Electric Fuel Pump.jpg (56KB - 773 downloads)
Attachments DSC02375L Fuel Flow Diagram.jpg (48KB - 740 downloads)
Attachments DSC02372L Dual Fuel Pumps.jpg (78KB - 767 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-05 5:34 PM (#157909 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Power Windows Lift: This Option I won’t miss on a Convertible, when driving from a Land-Street to the Highway, being exposed all around the Head to heavy wind. At open Top all Windows up reduces the Inside Wind and the arising Noise considerably.

On the other side they are a Show Element for Cars at this time.

At Oldtimer Shows you can see many badly aligned and particularly “tired” Power Windows, as very old walking people. The rear Windows are more affected than the Front ones. This difference is mainly due to the longer electrical Wires needed, but also to the Rubber Channel’s Friction they have to overcome, notably  the 1957 – 59 ForwardLook Car Versions Convertible and 2-Doors. My ambition was to achieve a Down-Up Time of less than 5 Seconds, and a Window not vibrating in any Position.

After some technical Investigation I came to the Conclusion, that the Original Window Motor, being powered at the lower Limit, could just not meet my demands. I found others, bigger ones, I had to adapt them mechanically. Then I restored the small Window Rollers and all Window Channels.

The Window Channels I squeezed in Height and Width in order to get a clearance of about 1mm to the Rollers. This required a precise alignment to the Doors (Front) and the Body (Rear), so as the Windows could be moved easily by Hand up and down, before installing the Motors. The Channels and Rollers I lubricated with Silicon Grease. The wires I changed to double Diameter and adapted the Pin Connections to the Power Window Switches as already posted earlier, all this for a minimum Voltage Loss due to the Higher Currents. The Main Power Supply I attached at the Convertible Top Switch Unit, after the Thermostatic Interruptor, but before the Top Switch, in order to disconnect the Circuit in Lock Situations or excessive Current drain.

Now I could start the first Test: The Windows lifted up and Down like “young Dogs”, achieving my stated goal, but . . . .

At the lower and upper End, as the Windows are forced to stop by the Stoppers at full Electric Power, the Motor Gear spun risking to damage the Pinion. Fortunately I found the sole correct Solution: at each End, up and down, I mounted a High Current Micro Switch (25A) with a long Lever  (Picture from Internet). Instead to adjust the mechanical Stoppers for End Positions, I have accordingly only to bend the Levers of the Micro Switches to stop correctly.

Now:

- Fine Adjustment and precice Position of the Window at “open” and “closed”.

- No excessive Current at Stop, saving the Switch Contacts

- No needless mechanical Pression and thus Deformation in the End Positions.

- No “stroke with a hammer” at End Stop, but smooth and soundless.

- The maximum Down-Up Time is 4 Seconds.

- No Time Difference on Rear Window Right, when operated with Main Driver Switch or local Switch (longest wire).

But must admit that the Rear Windows upper Edge may injure the Rubber Channel when not aligned and lifting up, due to the Powerful Motor. Edge should be rounded.

(Sorry that could not take Inside Pictures)

Edited by sermey 2009-01-06 5:10 AM

(Power Micro Switch L.jpg)

(DSC02378L Windows Left Up.jpg)

(DSC02381L Window up Rubber Parallelity.jpg)

(DSC02383L Front Left Windows Alignment.jpg)

(DSC02379L Rear Right Windows Alignment.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Power Micro Switch L.jpg (60KB - 776 downloads)
Attachments DSC02378L Windows Left Up.jpg (75KB - 735 downloads)
Attachments DSC02381L Window up Rubber Parallelity.jpg (70KB - 773 downloads)
Attachments DSC02383L Front Left Windows Alignment.jpg (82KB - 748 downloads)
Attachments DSC02379L Rear Right Windows Alignment.jpg (66KB - 738 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-06 10:05 AM (#157980 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Horns: The rechromed Covers in Combination with the painted Body looks great, even at other Colors than Golden. This Improvement makes only sense when the Horns are mounted on the Top as shown. Otherwise they are not visible, and even may disturb the appearing of the Front Grill’s Profile when located behind. In that case the Horns are at best in Black.

(DSC02386L Chrome Golden Horn.jpg)

(DSC02391L Horn Positions.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02386L Chrome Golden Horn.jpg (84KB - 762 downloads)
Attachments DSC02391L Horn Positions.jpg (88KB - 745 downloads)
wbower3
Posted 2009-01-06 10:53 AM (#157985 - in reply to #156081)

Walter passed away on Jul 29, 2014. We will miss you, Walt!

Hi Serge. What kind of fuel pump relay did you install on the electric pump, and did you also install some sort of device to shut off power to the pump in event of collision or other accident? I like electric pumps but I'm concerned about accidents and fire and the electric pump continuing to run on ...... Walt
sermey
Posted 2009-01-06 11:15 AM (#157989 - in reply to #157985)

Expert

wbower3 - 2009-01-06 4:53 PM Hi Serge. What kind of fuel pump relay did you install on the electric pump, and did you also install some sort of device to shut off power to the pump in event of collision or other accident? I like electric pumps but I'm concerned about accidents and fire and the electric pump continuing to run on ...... Walt

Walt, there is no relay nor a shut off switch. The electric pump will be off when the Ignition Switch is set to off. I don't know if a separate (automatic) shut-off is imperatively needed for the case of Collision. I was even not thinking at and  never heard about this issue. It's a matter to give some thought to and start a discussion in another thread(?).

Thank you for this indication. - SERGE -

sermey
Posted 2009-01-06 12:18 PM (#157994 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Spot Killer: You have certainly noticed the pure black Color on the Front Medaillon. This didn’t look always as nice, especially after a longer Trip. Color may be partly removed. This happens as well to other painted items of the Car.

To remove this Spots “on the Road” just use a standard water-proof Felt Marker. They are available in various Colors and Sizes. If the Color doesn’t match, use the one with the darker note, will be less visible than the brighter one. Always best matched Color: Black is black!

This Correction can be useful for the Exterior as for the Interior. It’s a fast way, dries instantly and doesn’t dish up. Thus, keep your Felt Marker always ready in the Car.

This is verbally an “applied Make-Up”.

(DSC00053L Never Spots Killed.jpg)

(DSC00022L Spot Killer.jpg)

(DSC02419L Water-Proof Felt Markers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00053L Never Spots Killed.jpg (43KB - 726 downloads)
Attachments DSC00022L Spot Killer.jpg (64KB - 714 downloads)
Attachments DSC02419L Water-Proof Felt Markers.jpg (40KB - 736 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-06 2:22 PM (#158008 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Power Windows Micro Switch: I have found the (broken) Test Switch (25A) and post some Pictures on special Request.

The Switch is mounted at the same side as the Window Channels with two Scews, on the left or on the right side, according the Windows side. The Lever is optional (the two small mounting Screws are missing in the Pics). I have added a Side Arm for the Windows Pressing. The Interruption happens within the flexible Range of the Lever, no mechanical Forces on the Switch at all, a smooth Transition. The lower existing original Positioner is to be adjusted just to touch the Windows Edge when stopped. Let there the damping Rubber anyway.

The wires are connected at the Switches sides and fixed with the Screw underneath, as well known from plug connectors. The bigger flexible Wire as showed in "Power Window Switches" is correct for these Holes (tin the Ends).The yellow Meter simulates the Windows Edge, activating the Switch when lifting downwards. By bending the Lever (or moving the Switch) the Stop Position is fine-adjustable.  There are two Micro Switches per Window, one for the DOWN and the other for the UP Stop.

A simple and reliable Installation, and it works excellent. Good Luck.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-06 11:24 PM

(DSC02424l Micro Switch No Lever.jpg)

(DSC02422L Micro Switch Levers.jpg)

(DSC02423L Switch Side View.jpg)

(DSC02425L Wire Connections.jpg)

(DSC02426L Downward Switching .jpg)

(DSC02430L Micro Switch Label.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02424l Micro Switch No Lever.jpg (63KB - 709 downloads)
Attachments DSC02422L Micro Switch Levers.jpg (68KB - 697 downloads)
Attachments DSC02423L Switch Side View.jpg (48KB - 692 downloads)
Attachments DSC02425L Wire Connections.jpg (63KB - 692 downloads)
Attachments DSC02426L Downward Switching .jpg (35KB - 727 downloads)
Attachments DSC02430L Micro Switch Label.jpg (47KB - 699 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-07 8:14 AM (#158093 - in reply to #157980)

Expert

Paint for Horns and Air Cleaner: On special Request.

Golden: KRYLON Brass Metallic 2204 (is brighter than the Gold Metallic 1706)

Transparent: KRYLON Clear Varnish Coating 7001

To know: The first sprayed brillant Gold  will be affected by the transparent Coating. A among many Tests the best Result got with 7001, the 2204 dried out. If not transparent coated the Metallic Surface Brillancy diminishes, even may disappear when cleaning or touching. This second Layer apply at least two times, later it can be polished when get mat.

sermey
Posted 2009-01-07 10:57 AM (#158100 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Power Lock: This is another Feature, as the Power Window Lifts, I won’t miss in my ’59 Dodge.

There are various Kits available with all needed items, including the wiring Harness. I saw even Kits including a Remote Control. What you see is a four Door Kit. The Single Units are mounted inside the Door, under the Door Lock, very easy to install. The only Handicap when there is no wiring at all to the Doors. A high flexible, floating Connection.near the lower Door Hinge helps. Thinking ahead I had already provided many supplement Cables when wiring the Power Window Lifts (for Loudspeakers, Power Lock and various Control / Switch Units when required).

This Power Lock Option is not visible at all and doesn’t need any exterior Switch. All Doors unlock when the Car is being opened by the Key from Outside, or by the Inside Door Handle (Up). They lock when closing correspondingly. Thus, the Power Locks can be activated from outside at open Windows too by moving the Inside Door Handles up or down.

To Know: In this Configuration all Doors have the same State, closed or opened. When disconnecting the Battery and then reconnect, for security reasons, all Locks are turned to the Closed State.

Now, not a visible Improvement, but no Problems anymore with a closed Door on the other Side. And it works!

(Sorry here again, could not take Pictures from inside)

Edited by sermey 2009-01-07 11:27 AM

(Power Lock Kit .jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Power Lock Kit .jpg (84KB - 688 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-08 4:24 AM (#158207 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Air Filter: Here the same Color Combination as the Horns. The rechromed Center would fit very well to any other Color.

(DSC00070L Chrome Golden Air Filter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00070L Chrome Golden Air Filter.jpg (118KB - 688 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-08 2:32 PM (#158241 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Emblem Studs: In Pot Metal they are damageable when mounting the Emblem using the Self Tapping Nuts another time..And what a Frustration when a Stud go broken! To prevent this I tapped Screw Threadings on any Emblem. Further more it's a smoother feeling to tighten softly.

Sample shown on the Chevron Emblem.

To know: Side Emblems are mostly in Duals as LH and RH. Some of them can be mounted at any Side, when drilling additional Holes. Finding later a NOS Rechromed Chevron, I drilled the additional Holes. Now there are to LH Emblems, not visible at all. Applying this way all 1959 Rear Lamps are interchangeable as well.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-08 5:56 PM

(DSC02482L Cut Thread.jpg)

(DSC02477L LH - LR.jpg)

(DSC02475L Symmetric Holes.jpg)

(DSC02470L Mounts Chevron Emblem.jpg)

(DSC00115L Chevron Emblem.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02482L Cut Thread.jpg (71KB - 694 downloads)
Attachments DSC02477L LH - LR.jpg (75KB - 665 downloads)
Attachments DSC02475L Symmetric Holes.jpg (17KB - 693 downloads)
Attachments DSC02470L Mounts Chevron Emblem.jpg (73KB - 685 downloads)
Attachments DSC00115L Chevron Emblem.jpg (66KB - 651 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-08 5:26 PM (#158254 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Moulding Clips: As the self-tapping Screws, these items had been designed for a fast Manufacturing, and are not suitable for an outstanding Car. They damage the Paint (as the self tapping Screws), go rusty and don’t tighten the Moulding sufficiently (rattling). The rust is programmed, the Mouldings are loosely and thus not close to the Body. And there should be no Gap at all!

I found stainless / rustfree and springy Clips in various Sizes being used to fix Aluminium Covering Profiles. Adding a Screw, attached by soldering (tin), this was the ideal Solution.

Now, these are not Clips anymore, but rather Clamps. Inside comes first the Grommet for sealing, then the Washer, and finally the Wing Screw, as well known from the Dual Rear Antenna, for easy fixing by Hand without any Tool. Of course all in stainless / rustfree Metal.

By cutting the Sides, they can be fitted to match the Width of any Moulding in the Range, even when the Clips are asymmetric, see “Replacement Sample”. For the Wide Door Mouldings I used two opposed Clips, every 3”, enabling to mount the Moulding from Outside: Down hook in -> push up, and then Up hook in -> push down = Fixed, and adjustable Left < > Right, as Up < > Down due to the Spring Property. They can perfectly be aligned each to other and at any time (see earlier Pictures of the Car)

This new Clip is to be tightened till to the Body in benefit to its curved shape and springy Attribute.

No loosy Mouldings anymore, no Gaps at all, and last but not least: A very pleasant Assembling.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-08 5:53 PM

(DSC02439L Various Rusty Clips.jpg)

(DSC02444L Clips for Alu-Profile.jpg)

(DSC02445L Clips Assembly.jpg)

(DSC02450L Soldered Bolts-Various Sizes.jpg)

(DSC02488L Application.jpg)

(DSC02489L Replacement Sample.jpg)

(DSC02505L Gap Rear Fins.jpg)

(Riveting Double Clips L.jpg)

(DSC02510L Gap Door Moulding.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02439L Various Rusty Clips.jpg (74KB - 667 downloads)
Attachments DSC02444L Clips for Alu-Profile.jpg (43KB - 667 downloads)
Attachments DSC02445L Clips Assembly.jpg (52KB - 677 downloads)
Attachments DSC02450L Soldered Bolts-Various Sizes.jpg (57KB - 671 downloads)
Attachments DSC02488L Application.jpg (50KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments DSC02489L Replacement Sample.jpg (44KB - 652 downloads)
Attachments DSC02505L Gap Rear Fins.jpg (46KB - 663 downloads)
Attachments Riveting Double Clips L.jpg (30KB - 678 downloads)
Attachments DSC02510L Gap Door Moulding.jpg (31KB - 658 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-09 5:10 AM (#158310 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Paunched Sides: All Cars at this time had more or less paunched Sides, best visible from behind along the Car. The Side Mouldings then becomes curved too. A Correction by heating would make it even worse. I tried a mechanical Solution to reduce these Paunches.

In about the Length of the Side Mouldings and under the same Position I mounted Inside a strong Steel U-Profile (W25-H12-D4.5mm). This Dimensions fitted just well behind the Rear Wheelhouse. As expected I didn’t got a straight Line, the max. Curve Retraction was about ¾ “. The Body has become very stiff and highly resistant to Stress.

Paunch reduced - but Weight increased! This is not a Make-Up, rather a Cosmetic Surgery.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-09 5:27 AM

(DSC02459L Profile View Inside Rear Quarter.jpg)

(DSC00221L Rear Side View.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02459L Profile View Inside Rear Quarter.jpg (87KB - 726 downloads)
Attachments DSC00221L Rear Side View.jpg (70KB - 655 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-09 8:04 AM (#158322 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Dome Light: A visual Gadget is the “Longer Light” Feature. A two Port Electric Box is connected directly to the Dome Light Switch and to Ground, being hidden behind the lower inside Panel, near the Loudspeaker (Pic). For easy Connection remove the Switch and pull the Wires through.

To know: This item can as well be connected directly to the Dome Light and the Box hidden behind the Side Panel (Convertible). Attention: Attach to the floating Ground Wire of the Lamp (has 0V when the Lamp is ON) and not to the +12V!!!

Now, closing the Doors the Dome Lights fade out after about 30 Seconds.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-09 8:18 AM

(DSC02514L Dome Light Switch.jpg)

(DSC02515L Dome Light Fading Out.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02514L Dome Light Switch.jpg (132KB - 661 downloads)
Attachments DSC02515L Dome Light Fading Out.jpg (46KB - 681 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-09 1:08 PM (#158350 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Trunk Lid: The Problem of the “Half-masted Trunks..” (2006-10-16 /d500neil) has already been discussed. There I showed my Solution using two Gas-Springs, on the left and the right side, needing only two Holes to fix them. The Data and Dimensions are given there.

I have already replaced them by the next stronger ones, when I covered the Trunk Lid with the same black Parket as for the Interior. Then the Trunk Lid became heavier, I had simply to replace the Gas-Springs by the next stronger ones. Just take out the Split Pin at the upper and at the lower End, then the Spring Unit can be removed and replaced by another one. This may be important when starting with too weak ones for an exchange where purchased! (the silver Screws fixing the Parket disappear when covered by black Plastic Caps, if prefered)

Now, the Trunk Lid when DOWN remain slightly opened (Trunk Light OFF), or stands UP again as before and in younger Years!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-10 5:06 AM

(DSC02497L Gas-Springs Lenght 275.jpg)

(DSC02516L Snap-On Gas-Spring.jpg)

(DSC02495L Front View.jpg)

(DSC02496L View Other Side.jpg)

(DSC02522L Interior-Parket on Trunk Lid.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02497L Gas-Springs Lenght 275.jpg (52KB - 653 downloads)
Attachments DSC02516L Snap-On Gas-Spring.jpg (41KB - 645 downloads)
Attachments DSC02495L Front View.jpg (45KB - 619 downloads)
Attachments DSC02496L View Other Side.jpg (87KB - 654 downloads)
Attachments DSC02522L Interior-Parket on Trunk Lid.jpg (82KB - 635 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-10 4:08 AM (#158410 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Door Weather-Strips: This items on the Car are exposed and visible to anybody, often mounted inaccurately. This stands out on the spot when they are not inline to the opened Window. Usually they are clinched on the Door, not permitting any fine Alignment afterwards.

This can be achieved by using Special Screws, flat as Rivets. I found black burned-in Low Profile Pan-Head Screws. Head Height 1.6mm (see on Pic the upper Screw), Diameter 7.8mm, Metric M4x10mm. The Diameter allows a mounting Hole in the Weather-Strips up to 5.5mm for an Alignment Range of over 2mm in any Direction, the low Height make it impossible to touch the Window, and the black Head disappears in the black Strip. 

Easiest is to use a Manual Hole Puncher for the Strips. First punch 4mm, then more Punches around in order to get the Hole bigger towards the best Position to the Door. Can have more Fixing Points as had before, but should cut at first all Threads in the Door. Now, as well simple and fast to replace them, this when the Strip is wrongly bent at the Ends or too much curved for straightening. (see Alignments of Door Weather-Strips above in Pics “Power Windows Lift”).

Another visible Precision Work on your Car!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-10 4:44 AM

(DSC02531L Low Profile Pan-Head Screws.jpg)

(DSC02532L Manual Hole Puncher.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02531L Low Profile Pan-Head Screws.jpg (66KB - 674 downloads)
Attachments DSC02532L Manual Hole Puncher.jpg (40KB - 599 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-10 3:06 PM (#158449 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Slanted Rear Seats: As far I could see, all earlier Convertibles have steeper Rear Seats than the Front Seats. This is uncomfortable to sit and furthermore this looks not inviting. The Front Seats are already steeper then today Cars, the Angle to the sitting Surface cannot be adapted for best feeling, nor with the 6-Way Power Seats Option. With it the entire Seat is rotated front- or backwards.

First I modified the Hinges of the Front Seat for a wider Sitting Angle. Then I moved the Cross Bar of the Rear Back Seat about 2” backward. In the Pics the fomer Original Position is still visible. In Consequence the Rear Seat Mount had moved up, the Bolt is now in an other Position and the Side Panels have been extended accordingly. The needed, interrelated Modifications at the Mechanics of the Convertible Top is reported later. (when you brighten the first Pic you will discover the Steel Profile and the Power Antenna Unit)

Now, a Comfortable Sitting and more Space too for the Rear Passengers, furthermore nice Parallel Back Seats, as well known from 4-Door Cars. All around happy Passengers: Let's lean back and ride.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-10 3:53 PM

(DSC00058L Overview Behind Rear Back Seat.jpg)

(DSC00058L Zoomed Moved Back Seat Cross Bar .jpg)

(DSC00058L Zoomed Moved Back Seat Mount.jpg)

(DSC00051L All Slanted Parallel Back Seats.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00058L Overview Behind Rear Back Seat.jpg (100KB - 646 downloads)
Attachments DSC00058L Zoomed Moved Back Seat Cross Bar .jpg (47KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments DSC00058L Zoomed Moved Back Seat Mount.jpg (85KB - 660 downloads)
Attachments DSC00051L All Slanted Parallel Back Seats.jpg (105KB - 623 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-11 12:44 PM (#158533 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Drumming Noise: I like Low Noise Cars, can listen to the Music, talk with the Passengers and hear the Birds when driving. In the 50thies they didn’t care about Noise as today.

I found flexible, self-adhesive Panels (50x40x3mm, 5Kg/m2) especially designed to reduce Vibrations, Resonances and this Drumming Noise. Setting them flush one with the other the Surface is waterproof. Except the Engine Compartment, I applied these Panels on any reachable Inside Surfaces: All the Interior, Inside the Doors, over the Rear Axle, on the Rear Wheel Houses, on the Rear Quarters (as already seen in “Paunched Body”), and Inside the Trunk, using total about 5m2 / 25kg. Then comes the black Interior Carpet above all, and finally the Mats tailored as the Originals. (the bright Flash makes the Panels appear in brown)

Now, not only the Drumming Noise is considerably attenuated, but the Doors sound discreet when closing, the covered Ground Surface has a new Look, and driving creates a compact Feeling as in a today Luxury Car. Can say: "Forward (Look) to the Presence!"

Knocking on the Car: "Is it Wood or is it Sheet Metal?". No audible Differences. This is not a “Make-Up” for the Vision, but for the Sense of Hearing.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-11 1:28 PM

(DSC02641L Covered Rear Wheel House.jpg)

(DSC02642L Four Panels Meet in Trunk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02641L Covered Rear Wheel House.jpg (117KB - 660 downloads)
Attachments DSC02642L Four Panels Meet in Trunk.jpg (88KB - 655 downloads)
Windsor59
Posted 2009-01-11 4:03 PM (#158561 - in reply to #158533)

Expert

I must say what work you've invested in Dodgen with different solutions. Fun and intresant reading for all of us. Serious work.
Do you have a story about your Dodgen (imported or sold in the new Europe?) How long have you owned it?
sermey
Posted 2009-01-12 5:00 PM (#158677 - in reply to #158561)

Expert

Joakim, in order not to interrupt this serie I will come back to your questions later on in another thread. -SERGE -
sermey
Posted 2009-01-12 5:03 PM (#158679 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Car Protection: An Oldtimer is usually at nicest when the restoration has completed. From now it starts to waste. It should be protected where parked for longer periods, even in a Single Garage.

There are many better and more solid Car Covers as the one I use. For Inside Purpose the Cover should absorb sand and dust on both sides, hence no scratches when moving it or hook on the Car; then be partially removable without the need of inter fold, and washable.

I found the “Auto-Pyjama”, 100% Cotton and fitting exactly to the Dodge. Cotton in best for polishing, thus the car will rather be polished than scratched when covering, or rubbing the edges.

The ’59 Dodge Custom Royal has particularly critical Chrome Edges: the Front Eye-Brows and the Rear Fins. When not covered I protect them by coating with an static-adhesive thin Transparent Foil, well known as used in the Kitchen for Foods. Recommended on long Trips at high Speed too, preventing the Eye-Brows to go sandblasted, as happens to the Windshield. This Foil is as well useful for packaging Spare Parts: they are protected and cognizable, no adhesive Tape needed.

Happy to say: After Ten Years since Restoration the Chrome Parts don’t have any Scratches, as the Paint too – the Car has never been polished.

Hint: Best Brilliance on Chrome I get with Glass Cleaner (before Photo-Shootings) – shiny as a Mirror, no Tracks left, and as important not removing any Chrome.:) :)

Edited by sermey 2009-01-13 3:14 AM

(DSC02644L Dust Protected Car.jpg)

(DSC02648L Discovered Right Rear.jpg)

(DSC02655L Shiny Unprotected Eye-Brow.jpg)

(DSC02668L Foil Protected Eye-Brow.jpg)

(DSC02666L Foil Packaged Spare Parts.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02644L Dust Protected Car.jpg (42KB - 657 downloads)
Attachments DSC02648L Discovered Right Rear.jpg (59KB - 688 downloads)
Attachments DSC02655L Shiny Unprotected Eye-Brow.jpg (75KB - 664 downloads)
Attachments DSC02668L Foil Protected Eye-Brow.jpg (72KB - 658 downloads)
Attachments DSC02666L Foil Packaged Spare Parts.jpg (55KB - 660 downloads)
wizard
Posted 2009-01-13 2:02 AM (#158744 - in reply to #156081)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

This thread is the most interesting lately! Sermey openly shares his innovative and intelligent tricks for to achieve an improvement. Now surely the hard-core OEM guys wont change a thing on their cars, but I will use some of the hints in my car. Thank you Sermey!
sermey
Posted 2009-01-13 3:29 AM (#158746 - in reply to #158744)

Expert

Thank you Swen. You said correctly as is the rule: "The hard-core OEM guys wont change a thing on their cars".

Most "improvements" can easily be restored to its Original, even at the place. Others are not visible at all, many are for the personal comfort and security.  But I agree with them: at a glance the Car should show up as Original - and it does when required.

On the other side: "The (Car-) Show must go on!" - SERGE -

Edited by sermey 2009-01-13 3:43 AM
sermey
Posted 2009-01-13 2:37 PM (#158799 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Rear Lamps: The Sockets got stainless / rustfree Bolts (M5) fixed by a counter-nut. The assembled Unit is mounted with Wing Nuts (no Tools required). The Lenses got rustfree Thread Screws (M4) too, the Self-Cutting Screws could brake the Lenses locally. As Gasket I used Rubber Sealing O-Rings, leading outside the two Mounting Screws.Two diametric notches have to be grinded as illustrated (Ring: external Diameter 85mm, Thickness 5mm). So, the O-Rings fit and seal as Originals.

I was always fascinated by the broad Rear Lamps on American Cars. As Youngster I could guess the Cars Make at Night, just by their Rear Lights. On my American Cars I wanted more: a Bright Red Glow. I painted the Reflectors from Silver to White, dispersed the Bulbs Light over the Surface of the Lenses, and removed the bright Spot of the Bulbs by a Sticker. On the ‘59 Dodge I wanted a similar Glow Effect.

First I convert the two Back Lights into Stop/Directional Lights by changing the Lenses and the Wiring accordingly. The Back Lights, anyway at the wrong Place for a useable Light, I moved under the Rear Bumpers, in mounting two adjustable, contemporary Chrome Lamps. These Back Lamps gives a wide white Light where needed to see at Night when parking. Beside the Exhaust Outlets I find their aspect nice and discreet (see earlier Pics).

To reduce the Spot Effect of the Bulbs I clamped a Light Dispersing Foil inside on the Lenses Surface (Folder available in any Office Shop).

Now, the Red Light got a Glowing Effect, another Eye-Catcher at the Night Cruise.

Hint: For a homogenous Red Light the Lenses should be from the same Production Batch.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-13 3:41 PM

(DSC02693lL Rear Lamp Unit.jpg)

(DSC02691L Zoomed View.jpg)

(DSC02684L Rear Lamp Trunk View.jpg)

(DSC02703L Notched Seal O-Ring.jpg)

(DSC02707L Dispersion of the Spot.jpg)

(DSC02673L Rear Glow.jpg)

(DSC02677L Zoomed Rear Glow.jpg)

(DSC00023L Bright Stop Light.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02693lL Rear Lamp Unit.jpg (66KB - 669 downloads)
Attachments DSC02691L Zoomed View.jpg (68KB - 668 downloads)
Attachments DSC02684L Rear Lamp Trunk View.jpg (123KB - 639 downloads)
Attachments DSC02703L Notched Seal O-Ring.jpg (66KB - 634 downloads)
Attachments DSC02707L Dispersion of the Spot.jpg (43KB - 645 downloads)
Attachments DSC02673L Rear Glow.jpg (65KB - 645 downloads)
Attachments DSC02677L Zoomed Rear Glow.jpg (70KB - 658 downloads)
Attachments DSC00023L Bright Stop Light.jpg (89KB - 654 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2009-01-13 5:56 PM (#158831 - in reply to #158799)

Expert 5K+

Very nice effect with the dispersion material. It doesn't seem to dim the overall output at all. Did you put the dispersion material just on the sides of the lens or on the back as well? What did you use to attach it there?
sermey
Posted 2009-01-14 2:14 AM (#158884 - in reply to #158831)

Expert

Powerflite - 2009-01-13 11:56 PM Very nice effect with the dispersion material. It doesn't seem to dim the overall output at all. Did you put the dispersion material just on the sides of the lens or on the back as well? What did you use to attach it there?

About Dim: This is comparable to an opaque and a transparent Home Bulb, both 25W or 40W. Must check for the best Foil, there are various thickness and surfaces.

Attaching: Inside the Lenses the reinforcement for the two screws goes all along. There need two Foils, on one side and on the other side, round bent and just clamped in between. Cut the first “on the job” to lie against the Lenses Inside Surface, then copy all others. On the Back nothing, no considerable improvement. Can put a small white Sticker on Top of the Bulb to remove the bright Spots, see Pic: Bright Stop Lamp. Sorry, could not remove the Lenses for shootings -> fixed and risk to brake.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-14 2:29 AM
sermey
Posted 2009-01-14 10:59 AM (#158925 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Car Height: Lifting or lowering a Car, there are many Opinions and Preferences. It depends on the Car too, and how the Design with the Side Mouldings already influences the Aspect.

On the ‘59 Dodge I found best to be about  flat, but never lower on the Rear. Thus, I set the Rear to be 3cm Higher than the Front (as all previous Pics), measured on the Side Moulding, Front at their End and Rear over the Wheel. The lowest Front Height was given by the Tires (235/70/15) just not touching the Wheel House when the Steering is fully turned to one Side. With the Air-Controlled Shock Absorbers I could lift the Car to the desired Rear Height. The Air Valve for the setting is intended to be mounted beside the Fuel Port, I left it in the Trunk near the Antenna.

For your own Consideration: I have lifted my Car on the Computer - other Prospects!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-14 11:12 AM

(DSC02710L Adjustable Shock Absorber.jpg)

(DSC02728L Air Valve.jpg)

(DSC00044L Rear 3cm Lifted.jpg)

(DSC00044L All Lifted.jpg)

(DSC00044L All Lowered .jpg)

(DSC00044L Rear Lowered.jpg)

(DSC00044L Rear Lifted.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02710L Adjustable Shock Absorber.jpg (56KB - 665 downloads)
Attachments DSC02728L Air Valve.jpg (41KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L Rear 3cm Lifted.jpg (70KB - 626 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L All Lifted.jpg (71KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L All Lowered .jpg (67KB - 682 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L Rear Lowered.jpg (69KB - 698 downloads)
Attachments DSC00044L Rear Lifted.jpg (71KB - 644 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-15 7:22 PM (#159105 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Removing Pits: When I purchased my Dodge the Pot Metal Parts have been rechromed over the Pits. Fortunately I could interchange all these Parts to a non restored Coronet. The owner was happy to get for free newly rechromed Parts, I too to have the Originals.

When removing Pits it is important that the Geometry remains waveless and as Original. If not, any unevenness will be visible when mirroring. I wanted all my Chrome Parts to be “mirror-proof” and flawless.

I don’t know how others remove Pits, so I did it my way. But first all the Chrome and the Nickel on the items had to be removed (galvanic).

1a Punching with Peening Tool: Take an adjustable Point Puncher and round the Point (3mm). On the Rear Side of the Pit to be removed mark a black Spot (Permanent Marker). Hold the item flat on a hard Wood Surface and punch on the Mark until the Pit has disappeared. Adjust the Puncher Force for at least 5 Punches needed. When the other Side has buckled out about 0.1-0.2mm, the Surface can be leveled by using an ultra fine Rasp (no Abrasives). Then polish, but only when the Geometry is corrected.

1b Spinning with Crusher: This modified Tool is intended for Pits not accessible with the Peening Tool, as some Surfaces under the Eye-Brows. The Rounding and the Height of the interchangeable Steel Nails can be changed as needed. Leveling and polishing as described.

2a Filling with Tin: Chrome and Nickel already removed, let apply a strong Copper Plating. Then put the item on the Cooker (kitchen), adjust the Thermostat to be about 140 Degree, and now with an Electric Tin Solder heath locally until melting, applying flux and tin (0.3mm /180deg, as used for micro electronics) just as much as needed to fill the Pit. Then remove the Solder instantly and go to the next Pit. When all is done, level the Surface as described, and copper-plate for the Finish.

2b Filling with Paste: As in 2a, the Surface needs a Replating with Copper to be cleaned in the Pits. Then, instead of Tin,  fill the Pits with a electrical conductive Paste (3M), similar as used for rechroming Plastics  and proceed as decribed.

Microscopic best I found the first three Methods when possible, because of the all Metallic Transition. In some cases a Combination of them is needed.

Once started and experienced with, it worked better than imagined. The final Brilliance of the item, when Nickel and Chrome plated, is given by the polishing of the last Copper Plating. This is most important Section for a brillant track-free Chrome. For that reason I have polished myself all Parts. For the Rear Lamp Sockets I did an Adapter to mount them on the Drilling Machine for grinding out thes many Pits. These maNot having Internet and eBay at this time I could not buy NOS Parts. Even these Parts are mostly minor pittet and have to be restored. Anyway, a good and friendly Relationship with the Galvanic Man is required.

The Chrome Parts on the Pics above show how the Geometry is restored to its Original, a flat undistorted mirroring surface all around!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-16 2:10 AM

(DSC02738L Adjustable Punch Markers.jpg)

(DSC02734L Pointed & Rounded.jpg)

(DSC02743L Modified Crusher.jpg)

(DSC02742L Inserts Roofing Nails.jpg)

(Rear Emblem L.jpg)

(Side Moulding L.jpg)

(Rear Lamp Sockets L.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02738L Adjustable Punch Markers.jpg (51KB - 661 downloads)
Attachments DSC02734L Pointed & Rounded.jpg (52KB - 616 downloads)
Attachments DSC02743L Modified Crusher.jpg (34KB - 674 downloads)
Attachments DSC02742L Inserts Roofing Nails.jpg (49KB - 661 downloads)
Attachments Rear Emblem L.jpg (61KB - 638 downloads)
Attachments Side Moulding L.jpg (81KB - 643 downloads)
Attachments Rear Lamp Sockets L.jpg (81KB - 651 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-16 2:36 PM (#159205 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Directional Flasher: It had happened to me some times, driving in my Topless Convertible to the Highway, and the activated Directional Flasher not turned off. Because of the bright Sunlight I neither could see the Green Flashing Lamps on the Instruments Panel, nor could hear the Flasher switching under the Dashboard due to the Streets Noise.

1. I connected a Miniature Buzzer (+12V) to the Input Port (red) and Output Port (blue) of the Directional Flasher. This Flasher Output leads to the Directional Switch on the Steering Wheel, and then to the corresponding Lamps, left or right. The Buzzer will sound anytime when the Flasher Switch is open and the Directional Switch ON, means in opposite Cycle as the Lamps.

When an electronic Flasher Unit (not a bi-metal) in used, then connect the Buzzer to the Output Port of the Flasher (red) and to the Ground (blue). 

2. The Buzzer can directly be attached to both Wires leading to the Directional Lamps too. Because it is a DC (Direct Current) Device, a Full Wave Rectifier (50V/200mA or higher)) must be pre-connected. It turns the Supply Voltage in any Direction to the correct Polarity. Even when there is one commun Bulb for Directional and Brake, as most Cars had at this time, the Buzzer will sound only when only one Side is ON. Thus when braking there is no Voltage across the two Wires of the ON Lamps, and of course no buzzing.

The Loudness is adjusted acoustically by wrapping something around the Buzzer and / or by hiding it under the Dashboard. To know: the bi-metal Flasher is short-circuit at no Current.

Now, the Buzzer produces a well-known intermitting alert, audible even in noisy ambient, no need to check the Instruments Panel, a relaxed Concentration on the Traffic.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-17 2:00 AM

(DSC02784L Rectifier & Buzzer.jpg)

(DSC02785L Wiring Diagram.jpg)

(DSC02747L Left Directional Light ON.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02784L Rectifier & Buzzer.jpg (58KB - 703 downloads)
Attachments DSC02785L Wiring Diagram.jpg (68KB - 687 downloads)
Attachments DSC02747L Left Directional Light ON.jpg (63KB - 700 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-17 12:50 PM (#159308 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Rear Center Brake Light: The new four glowing Rear Lamps instead originally two of them I still found insufficient for a Show-Effect, namely at Night. The next way was to add a Center Brake Light. The demands on this Feature, should:

- match to the body in Size and Color as designed for

- be easy to remove at anytime and at the place

- not leave any Marks when taken off

- show an intense Red Light in the same shade as the other Rear Lamps.

Among many offered Kits I selected the best matching one.I lowered the Lamp Unit by removing the bottoms Body, attached two springy mounting Brackets in thin Stainless Steel inside connected to the Minus of the Bulbs, and then painted the Body in the Cars Color.

The Lamp Unit is fixed by two Screws for the Tops Cover. The springy Pression of the Brackets hold it tight on the Cars Surface. Pushing by side the Center Chrome Coupling of the Mouldings there is access to the single wire leading to the Rear Brake Lamp, as Power Supply. To know: When there is a combined Lamp for Directional and Brake, as most Car had at this time, then the Supply should be branched directly to the Brake Light Switch.

Now, all initial demands could be completed. This additional Feature is another attractive Eye-Catcher and improves the Cars Show-Effect by an exciting Red Glow when braking. Another item instantly removable to its Original!

(my Digital Camera doesn’t like this high Contrast Bright Red!)

Edited by sermey 2009-01-17 1:30 PM

(DSC02803L Brake Light Unit Top View.jpg)

(DSC02799L Brake Light Unit Rear View.jpg)

(DSC02804L Brake Light Unit Ready for Mount.jpg)

(DSC02794L Brake Light Unit Connected.jpg)

(DSC02788 Brake Light Unit Mounted.jpg)

(DSC02786L Center Brake Light ON.jpg)

(DSC00001L Brake Lamps Side View.jpg)

(DSC00007L Night Lights.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02803L Brake Light Unit Top View.jpg (28KB - 659 downloads)
Attachments DSC02799L Brake Light Unit Rear View.jpg (62KB - 712 downloads)
Attachments DSC02804L Brake Light Unit Ready for Mount.jpg (38KB - 704 downloads)
Attachments DSC02794L Brake Light Unit Connected.jpg (54KB - 683 downloads)
Attachments DSC02788 Brake Light Unit Mounted.jpg (33KB - 711 downloads)
Attachments DSC02786L Center Brake Light ON.jpg (45KB - 672 downloads)
Attachments DSC00001L Brake Lamps Side View.jpg (79KB - 671 downloads)
Attachments DSC00007L Night Lights.jpg (71KB - 673 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-18 12:17 PM (#159427 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Tag Plate: On a nice Car the License Plate should be as nice, for most people look at this. The Expert however is interested in the Tag Plate. This Plate is as the Birth Certificate of the Car, an important integral Part and merits to be cared. What a Problem when this Plate is missing, I just read in another Thread!

When restoring a Car, many paint over the Tag Plate. Made in Aluminum, a polishing gives an additional decorative Character. It can be anodized in any Colors as illustrated. This Golden would better match to another Paint. (the lower Shadow is the Hood Reflection). For a fix mount I used Aluminum Rivets instead of Screws, polished too. Small effort, nice Effect.

Now, at the first glance the Expert will get an excellent Impression of the Car, the next Look at the Tag Plate he will be positively surprised!!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-18 12:31 PM

(DSC02817L Tag Plate.jpg)

(DSC01376L Polished Tag Plate.jpg)

(DSC01376L Anodized Tag Plate.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02817L Tag Plate.jpg (48KB - 678 downloads)
Attachments DSC01376L Polished Tag Plate.jpg (46KB - 678 downloads)
Attachments DSC01376L Anodized Tag Plate.jpg (59KB - 663 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-21 7:36 AM (#159796 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Hood Isolation: Many Hoods comes with poor or even with no Isolation at all. Knocking on the Hood is an acoustical Check how the Hood is isolated. Isolation means damping of Drumming due to Vibrations and Motor Noise, but will isolate from Heath too.

I put an Isolation of a today Car, usually made in one piece, for they are heath resistant and attenuate the Noise considerably. To keep the Design of the Under Hood the Isolation is cut in Segments to fit in and then glue them on. Take your attention to the upper Rubber Strip. This prevents hot Air Circulation from the Engine Compartment turning back to the Cooler when the Car stands idling. (the white shadows are sunshine reflections of the Air Cleaner and others)

Must see and hear the Difference!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-21 10:46 AM

(DSC00069L Hood Isolation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00069L Hood Isolation.jpg (109KB - 678 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-21 1:34 PM (#159822 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Radiator Cap: Many small polished items enhance the Status of a Car. Here some visible Distinctions more. Just to see.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-21 4:02 PM

(DSC00079L Polished Radiator &-Steering Pump Cap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00079L Polished Radiator &-Steering Pump Cap.jpg (86KB - 692 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-25 5:25 AM (#160332 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Convertible Top: A white Top is nice for any Bodys Color – except for white. Because Top and Body in white never match exactly, one will always appear as dirty. Thus, I switched to a black Top, matching best to my black/white Interior.

Due to the slanted Rear Back Seats I had to do minor Modifications on the Tops Mechanic. Simultaneously I lowered it for Top DOWN Position, to reduce the old fashioned “carriage” Look. By modifying the arms in shape, length and crops, the Mechanics went considerably lower, resulting only +1.5cm to the Height of the Body Sides with mounted Top (see earlier Pics of the Car too). As the Picture shows, now there is just enough room for the Top behind the slanted Rear Back Seats.

Modified, complementary croped Arms for lowering the Mechanics are illustrated. The left and the right side Arms must have identical mirrored shape. To protect the Top, all Edges of the Main Arms are rounded (for the finish use abrasive paper at Top UP). Customized Stainless Screws and Nylon Bushings with borders (to put between the Arms) assure a frictionless, inaudible and smooth Operation, no needing oil lubrication. Another functional and visible improvement!

To know: Important for lowest Top DOWN and minor Wrinkles is a carefully correct folding. This needs about 2 – 3 Steps. The Vinyl Window I left always closed at Top DOWN. Without Top and the Cylinders disconnected, the Mechanics should be moved easily up and down by hand. The Top DOWN Height then is lower than the Body Sides.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-25 4:49 PM

(DSC02856L Modified Top Screws and Bushings.jpg)

(DSC02849L Modified Croped Arm.jpg)

(DSC02936L Other Side Main Arm Crop.jpg)

(DSC02851L Top Lifted.jpg)

(DSC02825L Top DOWN Folded.jpg)

(DSC02828L Top full DOWN in Side Panel.jpg)

(DSC00082L Lowered Top Covered.jpg)

(DSC00096L Top Up Back View.jpg)

(DSC00094L Top UP.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02856L Modified Top Screws and Bushings.jpg (63KB - 684 downloads)
Attachments DSC02849L Modified Croped Arm.jpg (66KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments DSC02936L Other Side Main Arm Crop.jpg (72KB - 632 downloads)
Attachments DSC02851L Top Lifted.jpg (64KB - 664 downloads)
Attachments DSC02825L Top DOWN Folded.jpg (89KB - 669 downloads)
Attachments DSC02828L Top full DOWN in Side Panel.jpg (82KB - 661 downloads)
Attachments DSC00082L Lowered Top Covered.jpg (54KB - 646 downloads)
Attachments DSC00096L Top Up Back View.jpg (96KB - 671 downloads)
Attachments DSC00094L Top UP.jpg (86KB - 666 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-25 4:33 PM (#160402 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Fuse Box: When I switched from the Generator (30A) to an Alternator (60A) it was obvious to install two new Fuse Boxes. I went sick to search the hidden Fuses under the Dashboard for a replacement, not seeing anything. Then I changed the Wires to double Diameter. The new Fuse Boxes use Color encoded Fuses, easy to remove with the special Tool. I mounted them on the left front Wheelhouse for direct access, first both on a metal bar, then this unit with two longer screws from center to the body, as can see on the last Pic. All "fused" cables leading underneath invisible to the thick Wire Channel, then to the Instruments Panel. The transparent Covers with Rubber Seals make them water proof and allow an instant visual Check of the Fuses.

The One-Wire Alternator allow a simple wiring: from the Alternator to the First Fuse Box, then leading the wire (yellow) through the Ampere Gauge in the Instruments Panel, then back (red) to the Second Fuse Box, and finally ending at the Battery (+). The First Box supplies all items needed to be measured, the second one the momentary High Current items directly from the Battery, not measured such as Starter, Power Windows, Convertible Top, needing Fuse Values up to 40A. The new Voltage Regulator is still there but not connected.

Now, at a "Black-Out" by a defective Fuse: just lift the Hood, look at the Fuses and replace the defective one!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-26 8:29 AM

(DSC02890L One Wire Alternator.jpg)

(DSC02967L Wiring Diagram.jpg)

(DSC02963L Tool & Color Coded Fuses.jpg)

(DSC02966L Rubber Sealed Fuse Box Covers.jpg)

(DSC02959L Opened Fuse Boxes.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC02890L One Wire Alternator.jpg (82KB - 620 downloads)
Attachments DSC02967L Wiring Diagram.jpg (49KB - 619 downloads)
Attachments DSC02963L Tool & Color Coded Fuses.jpg (56KB - 670 downloads)
Attachments DSC02966L Rubber Sealed Fuse Box Covers.jpg (61KB - 600 downloads)
Attachments DSC02959L Opened Fuse Boxes.jpg (81KB - 644 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-28 11:33 AM (#160785 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

1959 Dodge HubCaps Paint: As the ConvertibleTop I got the HubCaps in white Color. White painted HubCaps are nice for any Bodys Color – except for white. Because HubCaps as the Convertible Top white never match exactly, one will always appear as dirty. Thus, I switched to black HubCaps, matching best to my black/white Interior.

First I removed the old outworn Paint by a solvent. Then I polished all the HubCaps Surface for a new look. Masking around all the many squares and then spraying in black, there was no chance to get a satisfactory result. I had to find another solution, already mentioned in an earlier post. I made Steel Stamping Tools for the two Square Sizes and stamped manually Stickers from professional, all weather-proof adhesive Material, as used for long lasting Outdoor Promotion on Cars. The same I did with the Center of the Spinners.

Now, the “new paint” has all around sharply defined Edges as never feasible with Paint, the Squares are identical, and they can be washed free of damage. At a Glance, the HubCaps look as new and never used, another nice Upgrade of every 1959 Dodge. :)

To know: Just now I got a limited Quantity of Precision Laser-Cut Stickers and offer them at first to FWL-Members. A Set, in White or in Black, fitting four HubCaps (314 Square + 6 Knight Stickers, Application), covering costs ($30.00 + $10 Package & Shipment, PayPal sermey@bluewin.ch).

Edited by sermey 2009-01-28 12:29 PM

(DSC00058L Old Outworn Paint.jpg)

(DSC02977L Stamping Tools.jpg)

(DSC02970L CAD Design A4.jpg)

(DSC00025L White Center Sticker.jpg)

(DSC01930L Black Stickers.jpg)

(DSC02972L Black Center Sticker.jpg)

(DSC02975L All Stickers on HubCap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00058L Old Outworn Paint.jpg (65KB - 622 downloads)
Attachments DSC02977L Stamping Tools.jpg (58KB - 609 downloads)
Attachments DSC02970L CAD Design A4.jpg (84KB - 623 downloads)
Attachments DSC00025L White Center Sticker.jpg (103KB - 607 downloads)
Attachments DSC01930L Black Stickers.jpg (80KB - 648 downloads)
Attachments DSC02972L Black Center Sticker.jpg (90KB - 582 downloads)
Attachments DSC02975L All Stickers on HubCap.jpg (76KB - 634 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-29 9:32 AM (#160939 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Automatic Beam-Changer: This Option was not on my Car when purchased. One day I found solely the Original Sensor Module, and I thought: “Why not?”

I designed a Transistor Trigger Circuit, soldered on a Board and mount under the Dashboard for direct access. A Printed Circuit Board (PCB) would have a quarter of Size. To eliminate the often discussed Flashing in Operate Mode, I set a higher Hysteresis (= Difference between ON – OFF Transition) and a longer ON Time-Constant (10 millisec for Beam OFF, +2 sec for Beam ON), as a manual Switching. The preset of the Sensitivity is done by the Trimmer on the Circuit Board (not visible), directing in the Garage a Pocket Lamp to the Beamer Unit to simulate the Light of an oncoming Car. The fine Adjustment when driving by turning the rear Knob on the Sensor Unit.

Now, the Automatic Headlight Control works excellently, but still remains critical in some Light Conditions due to the limited Viewing Angle of the Photo-Cell. Another Optional Equipment, not necessarily needed, but always nice to have. :

To know: the Automatic Inside Mirror  -  MirrorMatic uses the same basic circuit, both use the same Vacuum Tube 12k5. A PCB Transistor Circuit would fit in this Housing, or the Tube could simply be substituted by adequate Transistors, directly plug in the Tube Socket (12V Operation).

Edited by sermey 2009-01-29 9:51 AM

(1 Ross Roy - Automatic Beam-Changer L.jpg)

(2 DSC03002L Transistor Circuit & Relais.jpg)

(3 DSC02982L Beamer Unit .jpg)

(4 DSC03000L Beamer OverView.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 Ross Roy - Automatic Beam-Changer L.jpg (54KB - 651 downloads)
Attachments 2 DSC03002L Transistor Circuit & Relais.jpg (89KB - 626 downloads)
Attachments 3 DSC02982L Beamer Unit .jpg (47KB - 647 downloads)
Attachments 4 DSC03000L Beamer OverView.jpg (81KB - 665 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-30 7:08 PM (#161163 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Dimmer Switch: Even when not directly visible, this Switch can easy be upgraded just by putting a Rubber Cap (not Plastic, Bore Dia. 22mm x 20), as used for Chairs.

Now, the covered Knob not only looks more discreet and similar to the Windshield Washer Pad, applying the Dimmer Switch feels much more comfortable. Comparing both Pictures it even seems, without the Rubber Cap something is missing. A quite simply improvement for any Oldtimer!

Edited by sermey 2009-01-31 4:39 AM

(DSC03036L Rubber Cap.jpg)

(DSC03051L Original Dimmer Switch.jpg)

(DSC03050L Dimmer Switch with Rubber Cap.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC03036L Rubber Cap.jpg (39KB - 626 downloads)
Attachments DSC03051L Original Dimmer Switch.jpg (67KB - 658 downloads)
Attachments DSC03050L Dimmer Switch with Rubber Cap.jpg (67KB - 651 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-01-31 2:59 PM (#161251 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Sun Visors: On a Convertible the Sun Visors have an additional Function. In slightly higher than in horizontal Position they can reduce the Turbulences at open Top, acting as a virtual Extension of the Windshield. Then they are additionally exposed to a displacement.

To tighten a hanging Sun Visor, pull it out (may need some force), put in a parallel vice between two plane planks, protect it as illustrated, then squeeze a little bit in several steps until fixed enough.

Now, the Sun Visors remain in any circumstances at the preset Position.

Edited by sermey 2009-01-31 3:04 PM

(DSC03074L Removed Sun Visor.jpg)

(DSC03069L Retense The Sun Visor.jpg)

(DSC03068L Sun Visor Up.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC03074L Removed Sun Visor.jpg (49KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments DSC03069L Retense The Sun Visor.jpg (71KB - 630 downloads)
Attachments DSC03068L Sun Visor Up.jpg (78KB - 622 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-02-01 7:44 AM (#161298 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

15” Wheels and Tires: I always found, 14” Wheels on my Car are relatively too small and look poor in Proportion to the Body and its Wheelhouse. Must say, this was the Style at this time.

The other Point, bigger and wider Tires have much better Adhesion on the Street, the 235/70/15 Radial Tires about +25% in Comparison to the Original 14” Diagonal ones. This improvement is necessarily needed for a full Advantage of Disk Brakes. Thus, I decided in favor of 15” Wheels and the corresponding WWW Tires, still keeping the Original 14” Wheel Set including the Spinner Hubcaps. In order to keep the Original Appearance, the Original HubCaps should fit to the 15” Rims.

I bought 15” decorative stainless Rings, cut out the Border around, and soldered it inside the Wheel Cover. For a stronger Fixing on the rechromed Wheels I increased the Clamp Pression by putting a soft round PVC Profile under the Clamps.

Now, the Hubcaps fit perfectly to the 15” Rims, their Edges are even protected from Curbstones due to the inner Position, and the Air Valve is perfectly centered as well. According my personal feeling, this Wheel Size gives the Car its settled Proportions. Another improvement of the Outfit, for the Drivers Security, and as an additional Benefit the Wheel Cover Edge Protection.

(can see, my HubCaps are not perfect, but polished and with the sticked Black they look as)

Edited by sermey 2009-02-01 12:24 PM

(Original Wheel and Parking Lamp.jpg)

(1 DSC00001L Coker Tires 235-70-15.jpg)

(2 DSC03078L 15 Inch Decorative Stainless Rings.jpg)

(3 DSC00051L Soldered 15 Inch Ring.jpg)

(4 DSC03081L Inner Border of HubCap.jpg)

(5 DSCN0012L 15 Inch Wheel Assembled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Original Wheel and Parking Lamp.jpg (73KB - 649 downloads)
Attachments 1 DSC00001L Coker Tires 235-70-15.jpg (101KB - 640 downloads)
Attachments 2 DSC03078L 15 Inch Decorative Stainless Rings.jpg (67KB - 614 downloads)
Attachments 3 DSC00051L Soldered 15 Inch Ring.jpg (68KB - 585 downloads)
Attachments 4 DSC03081L Inner Border of HubCap.jpg (89KB - 616 downloads)
Attachments 5 DSCN0012L 15 Inch Wheel Assembled.jpg (97KB - 615 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-12-04 5:00 PM (#199485 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

obsolete

Edited by sermey 2009-12-04 5:07 PM
sermey
Posted 2009-12-04 5:00 PM (#199486 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Dome Nuts and Caps: These devices remove optically bad nuts, covers them or even protect them. Dome Nuts in polished stainless steel may appear as small diamonds.

A low-cost "Jewel+ for your car! - SERGE -  :laugh:

(01 Dome Nuts - Caps DSC03156.jpg)

(02 DomeCap DSC03154.jpg)

(03 DomeNuts Connector DSC00632a.jpg)

(04 DomeNuts Induction Coil.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 01 Dome Nuts - Caps DSC03156.jpg (48KB - 625 downloads)
Attachments 02 DomeCap DSC03154.jpg (53KB - 625 downloads)
Attachments 03 DomeNuts Connector DSC00632a.jpg (55KB - 609 downloads)
Attachments 04 DomeNuts Induction Coil.jpg (79KB - 597 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2009-12-06 5:36 AM (#199675 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Plugged Instruments and Speedometer Units: Working on this Units, what ever the brand of the car, was always a mess for not scratching the painted surrounding, interrupt unintentionally a connection, produce accidentally a short-circuit (when battery unplugged) and even to fix them when working. On newer cars the Units can be removed by unplugging many cables. On our FL-cars, except for the lamps, most cables are fixed.

To avoid these problems, before restoring the gauges, I did these Units pluggable by a multiple pin connector. First I replaced all wires by 50cm long, flexible ones at adequate profile and different colors. When tested I assembled them to a common harness, then cut it and inserted a high current, multiple pin connector. For the most important wires (GND and +12V), delivering the main power, I used two pins in parallel, all pins being soldered. On the Instuments Unit the harness-outlet was set behind the headlamp-switch for an easy turn away to the right side (in the pics folded for re-install the unit).

The remaining connections to remove individually are the speedometer cable, the oil pressure hose and the clock adjustment cable. The ammeter loop, with the cable leading from the one wire alternator to the battery, got a separate interconnection (100A). The thinner black cables leeds to the battery-box (Type 1.5V, UM-6) just deposit under the dashboard for the quartzed clock, working non-stop since already 4 years. On the Speedometer Unit, the brown capton-adhesive tape fixes the fine wires for the four green Micro-LEDs set on the glass end face for an additional impressive illumination of the speed numbers (see Pic above in "Directional Flasher").

Now, a stressfree comfortable handling of the Instruments is possible, beside the dashboard or on a working table! – SERGE - ;)  ;

Edited by sermey 2009-12-06 11:00 AM

(2009-04-23 DSC03212 Speedometer Unit.jpg)

(2009-04-23 DSC03206 Front Instruments Panel.jpg)

(2009-04-23 DSC03205 Rear Instruments Panel.jpg)

(2009-04-23 DSC03204 View Under Dashboard.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03212 Speedometer Unit.jpg (58KB - 581 downloads)
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03206 Front Instruments Panel.jpg (82KB - 591 downloads)
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03205 Rear Instruments Panel.jpg (88KB - 606 downloads)
Attachments 2009-04-23 DSC03204 View Under Dashboard.jpg (129KB - 613 downloads)
sermey
Posted 2010-02-13 4:36 PM (#209364 - in reply to #156081)

Expert

Rechromed Substitute Parts: On the market there are many rechromed parts available as substitutes, additional eye-catchers. Here two samples.

The Generator Bracket. Fits directly. For a nicer look can be shortened for best match, as I did here.

The Oil DipStick with the Tube. I bent the tube according the position I liked. Then, unfortunately the Oil DipStick couldn't be inserted anymore in the tube. Easy trick: Just twist it! :laugh:   - SERGE -

(Rechromed Generator Braket LL.jpg)

(Rechromed Distributor HoldDown LL.jpg)

(Rechromed Oil DipStick LL.jpg)

(Rechromed Oil DipStick Twisted LL.jpg)

(Rechromed DipStick in Tube LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rechromed Generator Braket LL.jpg (92KB - 603 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed Distributor HoldDown LL.jpg (75KB - 611 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed Oil DipStick LL.jpg (64KB - 590 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed Oil DipStick Twisted LL.jpg (40KB - 605 downloads)
Attachments Rechromed DipStick in Tube LL.jpg (97KB - 579 downloads)
1959 Belvedere Conv
Posted 2010-02-13 8:49 PM (#209388 - in reply to #156081)

Elite Veteran

Serge, You have a beautiful well detailed car. You should go back in time an be a stylist for Chrysler back in the Forward Look days. Though my 59 Plymouth convert is not at your higher trim level, I will use a lot of the detail points to bring out the best in my instrument panel.

PS I have never seen here in the States Dupli-color in the RAL color system. I am in the electrical business now (20 years )and we use the RAL paint system for coloring large electrical enclosures. I will have to see if they market these RAL colors in the US of A. It would help me a lot in getting touch up paint.

sermey
Posted 2010-02-15 10:33 AM (#209646 - in reply to #209388)

Expert

1959 Belvedere Conv - 2010-02-14 2:49 AM Serge, You have a beautiful well detailed car. You should go back in time an be a stylist for Chrysler back in the Forward Look days. Though my 59 Plymouth convert is not at your higher trim level, I will use a lot of the detail points to bring out the best in my instrument panel. PS I have never seen here in the States Dupli-color in the RAL color system. I am in the electrical business now (20 years )and we use the RAL paint system for coloring large electrical enclosures. I will have to see if they market these RAL colors in the US of A. It would help me a lot in getting touch up paint.

Thank you, John. Every one has his own talents. We all have got them for free. The ones uses them more, the others less. I think, most owner of an oldtimer will find and trim his car to a higher level, as soon he has done all needed restorations. Owning just one car is much easier.

The RAL Colors are well defined Color Standards and available on a CD, indicating the RGB (Red-Green-Blue) percents, awell known by  Photoshop-Users. Thus, any RAL Color can be mixed accordingly, and get exactly the same tone.

Edited by sermey 2010-02-15 10:49 AM
sermey
Posted 2010-02-15 10:39 AM (#209647 - in reply to #209364)

Expert

Oil Cap on Valve Cover: This is another part that can be directly replaced by a similar rechromed one, also available on the market.
Here I preferred to keep the Original Cap of the 1959 DODGE with the script "OIL" on top. Bevor rechroming, the steel filter preventing oil to leak on the valve cover, has to be removed. It can be replaced by a rough stainless steel wool, as used for cleaning pans, inserted with a long-nosed plier. A fine steel Wool would clog when oily and prevent the needed air breathing.

Valve Cover: There are as well rechromed valve covers available, What you see are the rechromed originals. To rechrome with polishing costs more than than a replacement. - SERGE -

Edited by sermey 2010-02-15 1:14 PM

(1959 Original Rechromed Oil Cap LL.jpg)

(Oil Cap Stainless Steel Wool LL.jpg)

(361 Oil Cap on Valve Cover LL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1959 Original Rechromed Oil Cap LL.jpg (55KB - 703 downloads)
Attachments Oil Cap Stainless Steel Wool LL.jpg (66KB - 736 downloads)
Attachments 361 Oil Cap on Valve Cover LL.jpg (126KB - 737 downloads)
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)