The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nathan Manning and His Family Need Your Thoughts and Prayers
Moderators: Nathan D. Manning, My57Saratoga

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Volunteer State RegionMessage format

My57Saratoga
Posted 2008-08-22 10:22 PM (#142397)
Subject: Nathan Manning and His Family Need Your Thoughts and Prayers

Elite Veteran

This past Wednesday, Nathan Manning's 19 year old brother, Taylor, was involved in a motorcycle accident when a car pulled out in front of him. Taylor's injuries were extensive and resulted in the amputation of his right leg above the knee. Taylor, Nathan and the Manning family appreciate your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. If you would like to send Taylor a card his address is:

Taylor Manning
C/O Nathan Manning
509 Tailor Way
Newport, Tennessee 37821

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wizard
Posted 2008-08-23 4:36 AM (#142413 - in reply to #142397)
Subject: Re: Nathan Manning and His Family Need Your Thoughts and Prayers

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

That was really bad news. It hurts when such things happens to someone and specially when you know them. May the light shine upon Manning and his family in this difficult time.

Sven
Sisu
Posted 2008-08-23 6:48 AM (#142416 - in reply to #142397)
Subject: RE: Nathan Manning and His Family Need Your Thoughts and Prayers

Inactive by Request

Very, very sorry to hear that. I drive a fast motorcycle myself, and actually have thought about selling it because they are just too dangerous due to other road users. I've had similar experiences but by unbelievable luck survived without crashing. Next time it could be different, so actually I have decided to sell the bike. These very bad news just confirm its the right decision.

I wish Taylor all the best and hope he'll be treated well and will have a fast recovery. I wish Nathan and his family all the strenght this takes. The positive side is, he survived.

From Germany,
Cedric

58Donnie
Posted 2008-08-23 9:08 AM (#142421 - in reply to #142416)

Account Suspended

Nathan I'm here for anything.

D.
58Donnie
Posted 2008-08-23 10:00 AM (#142426 - in reply to #142421)

Account Suspended

I gave him a call and right now everything is moving along. His brother will need support for a long time to come.
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2008-08-25 4:19 PM (#142668 - in reply to #142397)

Taylor's wreck happened last Wednesday on a rural two-lane stretch of highway called Boyd's Creek Road.
That's in Sevier County, Tennessee... Not far from Knoxville.

Taylor was riding his 2008 Yamaha R-6 when another driver turned across his lane of traffic to dart into a convenience store parking lot.

My brother's painfully graphic recollections have been confirmed by the police incident report. It seems that Taylor's cycle clipped the passenger side of the oncoming car... trapping his leg between the two vehicles and severing his femoral artery.

As it turns out, there was a nurse just a few cars behind when the wreck happened... She helped to stabilize Taylor at the scene... and no doubt kept him from bleeding to death.

In addition, LifeStar (Medical Helicopter) personnel had been monitoring area scanner traffic when the crash occurred. Before being officially dispatched, crew members loaded up and headed for the scene.

A short 31 minutes after the crash, he was being triaged in the ER at UT Medical Center...
Surgery followed... with continued blessings.

Initially unbeknownst to us, some of the medical personnel charged with Taylor's care were friends of the family.
From anesthesia, to surgery, to recovery... It was almost like we had our own goodwill ambassador in each department.

Now he's in a private room... where he continues to recover. Still, he faces daily pain and mental anguish - and the road ahead will be long and difficult. Counseling, Physical Therapy, and long days of soul-searching still lay ahead.

Most importantly though, HE IS ALIVE...
He's breathing, talking, and already using a walker to get around...

It's also surprising to see that - aside from his leg - he has come through all of this with barely a physical scratch on his body.

God has been working divine miracles in our lives... and there's clearly a purpose for this young man's future!
(After all, there's no physiological medical reason he should still be alive today... But for the grace of God.)

It's seems strange to look at my 19-year-old brother's condition and use words like "LUCKY"... Meanwhile, it would be even more difficult to deny that he is just that - and then some.

It's truly wonderful to have another chance to share our lives with such a remarkably talented, witty, and intelligent kid like my brother...

Keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers...
On behalf of my brother and the rest of our family, we truly appreciate it.

Thank you sincerely!
-NM
61plymy
Posted 2008-08-25 5:34 PM (#142678 - in reply to #142397)

Expert

Nathan,

I know we don't see eye to eye a lot here, but I am sincerely glad your brother was not killed. He is extremely lucky.

I had a similar experience (a gal turned in front of me in an intersection while maintaining eye contact with me). I was aware that I needed to "square up" the bike with the car or risk an amputation, so I did that and physically launched myself off the bike as it hit in order to clear the back of the roofline. I was VERY shaken from this collision, but not physically injured.

A couple of years later I lost my oldest brother to a head on collision while he was on a motorcycle, and trust me, his injuries were massive and final. I'm sure he never felt anything, even though he wore a helmet and safety gear. Though I keep my license current, that experience convinced me that I should hang up the bike, which I did. In fact I disassembled it so no one else could ride it and then took it to the metal recycler.

Just last weekend, my sister-in-law and husband were coming up to visit us at some riverfront property we have. They called a mile down the road from us. A biker and car hit and the biker was killed, closing the hiway for 4 hours.

So, Nathan, you be sure and celebrate your brother living through this. Mine didn't and I miss him like hell. God bless your brother and your family, Nathan.

Mike
58Donnie
Posted 2008-08-26 7:21 AM (#142724 - in reply to #142678)

Account Suspended

I tell ya' what, I was out in the shop last night and my old football knee tired out as always and I just about called it a day then, I thought of Taylor and said if this young man can have the positive outlook that he does after losing a leg then I think I can make it a little while longer.

May he turn this into something that shapes his life and drives him and he should be an inspiration to us all.
safetymike77
Posted 2008-08-26 8:36 PM (#142822 - in reply to #142397)

Expert

If he has a good humor about everything and is looking to the future, as we only hope he will, just remind him of one thing......

Chicks dig scars....

Don't try it though if he isn't in good spirits... But if he is like me... humor is what gets you through, and keep him happy and laughing. Laughter is the best medicine though.
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2008-08-28 11:54 AM (#143009 - in reply to #142822)

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words of encouragement.

Taylor was released from the hospital late Wednesday evening...
Just one week after the wreck, he has made wonderful progress.

Last night, he was able to navigate up the front steps at my parents' house using only a pair of crutches. He also tells me that he was able to sleep much better in his own bed.

He's still in alot of pain... not to mention the "phantom pains" that are associated with this type of inury. Meanwhile, there's much work ahead with regard to physical therapy and learning to use a prosthetic leg.

Over the next few days, we'll learn more about his rehab schedule at Patricia Neal.
Every day is truly a gift... and we are thankful for friends and family to help us through times like these.

My family has witnessed miracles reaching far beyond the realm of coincidence. I believe we can all be inspired by my brother's courage and positive attitude. I've always known he was a remarkable guy... but recent events have shown me an altogether new depth to his character.

Sincerely,
-NM
safetymike77
Posted 2008-08-28 7:50 PM (#143050 - in reply to #142397)

Expert

Be thankful, that is for sure.. Up here in the sheboygan area, a harley rider just lost his life in exactly the same kind of accident... that was yesterday.
tnlowrider
Posted 2008-09-08 10:31 PM (#144188 - in reply to #142397)

Extreme Veteran

Nathan, I just saw this thread. I really hate to hear about your brother. I'm very familiar with Boyd's Creek Rd. Sevier County traffic is very scary in tourist season. I ride a motorcycle myself and I am very apprehensive about riding in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Sometimes it's like riding in a herd of deer!

I hope he has a speedy recovery!
Nathan D. Manning
Posted 2009-05-22 10:10 AM (#175081 - in reply to #142397)

It's been a while since I've posted anything on here regarding my brother's condition or progress.
I thought I'd share an update with y'all... because you're like an extended family to me.

Taylor has been fitted with a prosthetic leg... and continues to go through physical therapy each week.

Meanwhile, he made local news yesterday on all 3 channels!
The "Otto Bock (prosthetic company) Road Show" came to Knoxville, and Taylor was lucky enough to be chosen to try out a new "C-Knee" apparatus.

Such a device would make it MUCH easier for him to walk "normally" again... but the cost is about $50k. Taylor was impressed with the test-drive, so to speak... Meanwhile, we're waiting to see if his insurance would cover the cost involved in upgrading his current prosthesis.

Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers...

Here's a link to the story (with video):
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=88335

I cried when I saw it... After all, it's the first time I've seen him navigate steps without struggling.

-NM
Bryan1960Windsor
Posted 2009-05-22 2:52 PM (#175113 - in reply to #142397)

Elite Veteran

Nathan... WOW!!!! so happy to hear about your brother's progress... They've come so far with prosthetic limbs... Brought a huge smile of joy to my face to hear you speak about those first steps!!

Much good wishes and support!

bryan

That video is amazing, Heartwarming to see your brother with such a smile!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)