The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recommendations- Best "retro vibe" car shows in U.S?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

57PlymouthNC
Posted 2008-03-07 2:16 PM (#118762)
Subject: Recommendations- Best "retro vibe" car shows in U.S?

Extreme Veteran

Well, it's that bittersweet time of the year---- trying to plan for some car show trips, and simultaneously knowing I can't afford to attend more than a few per year.

What are your recommendations for shows that specifically have a strong "retro vibe" to the whole event?
I'm thinking of shows that either include or are timed to coincide with other retro events like drive-in theater cruise-ins, parties, concerts, theme events, sock hops, rockabilly theme, that sort of thing.

For example, a show like the Lowe's Speedway shows in Charlotte NC attract 2500+ cars and 100,000 people----- but the VENUE leaves a lot to be desired. No outside vendors allowed, other than flea market sellers, because the Speedway controls the sale of all items like t-shirts and caps, and they don't allow anyone to compete with their "official" items for sale. It's a giant show, but to me, it feels unfriendly, and not like a place to buy stuff or "hang out"---- you pay your $20 or whatever it is entrance fee, walk around a giant racetrack to look at 2500 cars buy your officially-sanctioned $3 Coke, go back to your car parked half a mile away, and go home six hours later.

I'm very interested in the May 24 2008 Rogersville Tennessee "Memory Lane" show (thanks, Nathan, for your posts that first turned me on to that).
http://randomrods.com/memorylane
To those of you who have been to Memory Lane, how does it compare to other shows? I see that their website now says they're "returning to a one-day event", suggesting that previous weekend-long shows didn't go as well. ??

I'm in northern NC. Is there a show that you know about that's bigger, more fun, has more related "retro" activities than Rogersville?

Anyone here attend Viva Las Vegas?
I know I've missed it for 2008, but next year....?

My girlfriend needs a place to wear her poodle skirt this summer!

My recommendations include Trashorama, a small Richmond Va show that debuted in 2007--- rat rod and rockabilly-oriented.
http://trashorama.com/

and the Show, Shine, Shag, & Dine event in Henderson NC, held in October
http://www.kerrlake-nc.com/carshow.cfm
Great for folks into drag racing history (not my thing, but kewl nevertheless).

"Back To The Beach" is happening this weekend in Wilmington NC, but the weather forecast calls for rain and thunderstorms all weekend.
Anyone been to that? The promos mention that it attracts about 600 cars... .
(But I think it's a pre-1982 show. :0 Not all that far "back", you know....)

Sam

1957 Plymouth Belvedere
1961 Ford Fairlane
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57burb
Posted 2008-03-07 2:39 PM (#118767 - in reply to #118762)
Subject: RE: Recommendations- Best "retro vibe" car shows in U.S?

Expert

You're missing the best one of all, the Lonestar Roundup here in Texas. Better make plans soon, it's coming up in one month.

http://www.lonestarroundup.com/
50scars
Posted 2008-03-07 8:16 PM (#118836 - in reply to #118762)
Subject: Re: Recommendations- Best "retro vibe" car shows in U.S?

Elite Veteran

While it doesn't include FL cars, the FLATHEAD REUNION, the annual event of the Early Times Chapter of Pontiac-Oakland Club International is all historical oriented. Period costumes, period displays, period things like campers are shown. There are 2 trophies--popular vote--best pre-war (WWII) display, and best post war display. It is for FUN, not who has the "BEST" most over restored toy. Trailers are real common because of the amount of other "stuff" we bring.
old mopar guy
Posted 2008-03-07 8:28 PM (#118838 - in reply to #118762)

Expert

Lead east is the 1st Car show No1 50s Party.its not cheap !and its on labor day weekend .But it draws over 3000 cars has live bands ,drive in movies all night dance partys and lots of party people! Lead east .com Its lots of fun and now gets a pretty good amount of FL cars , lot of stock 50s cars street rods and customs HAPPY MOTORING!!
57PlymouthNC
Posted 2008-03-08 12:15 AM (#118864 - in reply to #118762)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks guys! Of course, all the shows listed above sound great (that's the aforementioned "bittersweet" part). The Austin TX show is coming up too fast, and I already have to be elsewhere that weekend.
Something to keep in mind for the future though, as Austin is such a hot town anyway, and that would be a great excuse to visit again.
I love old campers, so will check out the Flathead event website as well.
FYI, the website for "Lead East" is leadeast dot NET (versus dot com). Looks like fun! It's great that it's in New Jersey, only 8 hours or so from NC. I might well make that one! Their page says 1500+ cars, 39 oldies bands, and it's all about "nostalgia"--- exactly what I was looking for.
I see what you mean re "not cheap"---- $97 to register your car for the show, and to get that, you have to book 4 nights in the host hotel, at a rate of $140 a night plus tax. If you don't want to bring your car, looks like you can stay in a nearby hotel or motel, and then pay $10 a day to get in , as a spectator. Of course it would be more fun to have the car there, but I'll have to weigh if it's several hundred dollars worth of "more fun". :0
I'm not wild about that "4-night minimum stay" rule, which translates into at least $620 in lodging costs. Ugh.
I may see if Parsippany NJ has a Motel 6, you know?
http://leadeast.net/welcome.html
jsrail
Posted 2008-03-08 12:47 AM (#118869 - in reply to #118864)

Expert

The first one I get to attend when the '56 is finished!
JERSEYBOB
Posted 2008-03-09 9:01 PM (#119184 - in reply to #118864)

Expert

As you may know, NJ is pretty densely populated. That means you really dont have to go too far to find Hotels/Motels and the like. I didnt check the web site; but I think that those rates and 4 nite min would probably be for the host Hotel where the event is held. This event is located very near the intersection of two MAJOR highways in north west Jersey.
57PlymouthNC
Posted 2008-03-10 2:10 PM (#119298 - in reply to #119184)

Extreme Veteran

JERSEYBOB - 2008-03-09 9:01 PM

As you may know, NJ is pretty densely populated. That means you really dont have to go too far to find Hotels/Motels and the like. I didnt check the web site; but I think that those rates and 4 nite min would probably be for the host Hotel where the event is held. This event is located very near the intersection of two MAJOR highways in north west Jersey.

Yeah, the official "Lead East" site also lists a few nearby hotels (mostly from 2 to 5 miles away). They do not require the 4-night minimum stay.
I haven't had time to do a thorough search of what's around, but I will. I just can't see spending $700 to be in/attend a weekend car show...... .
My version will probably end up being two nights in a Motel 6, leave the Plymouth at home, and pay $10 a day to see the show from a spectator's point of view. Looks like there is plenty to do and see there, without having a car registered (of course, if everyone thought that way, there would be no cars to see....).

So, anyone been to the Memory Lane show in Rogersville Tennessee and want to post a review or comment on how it compares to other shows?
Of course, in addition to the cars, the thing that attracted me to Memory Lane was the story of how this couple had found, purchased, disassembled, trucked back home, and reassembled whole original "retro" buildings, like gas stations, diners, etc. With a story and artifacts like that, it's kinda like "How can I NOT go??"
http://randomrods.com/memorylane
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)