The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Has anyone installed windlace?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

savoyboy
Posted 2007-05-09 6:09 PM (#82383)
Subject: Has anyone installed windlace?

Extreme Veteran

I'm getting ready to pull the dashboard on my 57 Plymouth, and it looks like the dash needs to be out to install the windlacing. It looks like a fairly simple job, especially since I have a hardtop and the windlace only goes up the A pillar. Apparently, I have to have the windlace made, because it is just foam core wrapped with the same vinyl as the upholstery. Any tips or advice from someone who has done this would be great.
Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JimK
Posted 2007-05-09 9:15 PM (#82410 - in reply to #82383)
Subject: RE: Has anyone installed windlace?

Veteran

The windlace could be made if you can find the foam core and material. Many types of windlace are readily available. Probably simpler to buy it.

www.restorationspecialties.com
Gary Goers also sells it.
A Google search on windlace turned up several other sources

Do check that your windlace clips are still usable. They like to rust. Alternately they like to break.
I know Gary sells a replacement style clip.

Jim Krausmann
Detroit
savoyboy
Posted 2007-06-23 10:10 PM (#87366 - in reply to #82383)

Extreme Veteran

Well, after waiting for an upholstery shop to make windlace for me for over a month, I just did it myself. Since hardly anyone replied this question, I will share with you what I did. For the foam core, I just used rubber fuel line instead, it's the same size as the original stuff. I cut a 4 inch strip of vinyl which is a little wider than the factory did but that gives you more to work with when you fasten it to the door jambs. I used a piece of brake line to insert into the rubber hose so it will be straight when I wrap the vinyl. After spraying vinyl adhesive the the vinyl I set the rubber hose in the center and carefully wrapped the vinyl around it. This is a little tricky. I then took 2 strips of thick sheetmetal and put them on both sides of the flap on the windlacing and apply clamps every 8 inches or so making sure the metal strips were pushed against the round part of the windlacing as far as possible. After letting it dry overnight, I pulled the clamps off and the brake line out.

For clips to install the windlace, I substituted those press in plastic fasteners. They work great, but you have to enlarge the factory holes a little to make them fit. The job turned out really good but on the tight turns the vinyl has come unglued from the hose resulting in minor folds and creases. But it still looks good and looks way better than the factory did. I used 3M rubber and vinyl spray adhesive but perhaps something else would work better.

I'll have some more pictures up soon, stay tuned.
1960fury
Posted 2007-06-24 6:46 PM (#87529 - in reply to #82383)

Expert 5K+

savoyboy - 2007-05-09 6:09 PM

I'm getting ready to pull the dashboard on my 57 Plymouth, and it looks like the dash needs to be out to install the windlacing.

no need to remove the dash! just sew a proper diameter rubber hose (vacuum hose) to the windlace leg and push it into the A pillar/dashboard gap (rubber hose should be on the inboard side of the leg,close to the windlace) this worked always for me on 60/61 mopars, should work on 57s too.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)