The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back Glass Trim Install 56 CRL
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

JedRhule
Posted 2023-03-08 7:26 PM (#628159)
Subject: Back Glass Trim Install 56 CRL

Veteran

The local upholstery shop finally installed the new headliner. I will tell this sad tale at a later date. Right now, they are stuck after reinstalling the back glass that had to be removed to replace the headliner. They cannot install the trim that surrounds the back glass and fits into the weatherstrip. The good book (Chapter 3, page 66) instructs the technician to install the moldings using the “pull cord” method. Has anyone done this? What is the trick? They can’t get it to fit.
After the headaches with the headliner and the back glass they are ready to push my car into the street and calling me to come get it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
22mafeja
Posted 2023-03-11 1:23 AM (#628189 - in reply to #628159)
Subject: RE: Back Glass Trim Install 56 CRL

Elite Veteran

This is a nightmare to install , ar least it has always been to me. The possibility to get it right depends on the seal and the stainless molding.
I must admit I have a couple of times used a lot of polyurethane glue to hold the molding. It works too but it is not so fun to do.
I kind of understand the shop , it is a time consuming job and difficult to charge for fully .
GaryS
Posted 2023-03-11 10:40 AM (#628191 - in reply to #628159)
Subject: Re: Back Glass Trim Install 56 CRL

Expert

That was the most difficult thing to do on my '56 Plymouth. I eventually hired a glass installer from a shop that specializes in old cars. He fought for about three hours to get the glass in place, but wanted nothing to do with installing the trim. I struggled off and on for weeks, even trying to make a tool to help hold it in position. All in all, it was a half-assed job that doesn't make me proud, but the glass is in and at this point, that's all I care about!

The mistake your headliner installer made was removing the glass per the manual. While it's difficult, the headliner pain is far less than reinstalling the glass.
Powerflite
Posted 2023-03-11 12:24 PM (#628193 - in reply to #628159)

Expert 5K+

You need to have strong hands, lots of stamina, and lots of lube in the gasket and on the trim. I installed the upper trim on my '56 Belvedere by starting in the center and working my way down on both sides. The last bit at the corners is the hard part. It helps to have 2 strong people to get it into place. But I did it by myself, with a lot of effort. You can see what I wrote about it on my thread, midway down on the first page.

http://forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=74478&star...

The rope trick involves putting the rope into the gasket and pulling it out as you push the trim in, but it doesn't sound very easy either. But one thing is for sure, that you have to work your way, bit by bit, to get it in. It doesn't just pop in all at once, except at the very last part; which is hard to accomplish.
JedRhule
Posted 2023-03-11 6:24 PM (#628200 - in reply to #628159)

Veteran

After all this aggravation, I should have just sewed the open seam in the headliner. It would look like an old man who had a heart bypass.
The mechanic who did such a beautiful job installing my A/C last year, said that the easiest way to install the glass was to install the weatherstrip in the opening, THEN install the trim into the weatherstrip and THEN install the glass using the rope method. He also said that he would never do one again.
I spent 2 hours yesterday and only got 2 feet of the trim installed.
So I made the rounds of the local hot rod shops and they unanimously recommended a glass shop two towns over, with an 'old school' owner. He agreed with my mechanic on the installation method, but he is booked for weeks. He appears to be my last hope.
wizard
Posted 2023-03-12 1:23 PM (#628212 - in reply to #628159)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

If that trim has the same principle as the 57, then it's a drama. I mounted the trim on a 57 Saratoga. I used rust solvent 556 for to soften and oil up the rubber, and painfully pushed the trim in place.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)