The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

55-56 Dodge Convertible "Tub" External Trim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2022-12-27 6:54 PM (#626603)
Subject: 55-56 Dodge Convertible "Tub" External Trim

Expert 5K+

55-56 Dodge Convertible "Tub" External Trim

Having already started threads about 55-56 Dodge sedan C-pillar trim and 55-56 Dodge 2 dr and 4 dr (56 only) Lancer C-pillar trim, there was no way that I was going to leave the 55- 56 Dodge convertibles out. However, although I have 56 sedan and I know folks local(ish) to me with 56 Lancers, I have no direct local connection to any 55-56 Dodge convertible owners that I could visit. As a result, I sent emails to Forward Lookers who I know have (or had) 55-56 Dodge convertibles (Per E. in Sweden and Peter S. and Wayne G. in the US) asking for info and photos, where possible. All three came through, either directly (Per E. and Peter S.) or indirectly (Wayne G.)

What I have learned is there are three types of stainless trim that go on the outside of the convertible “tub” (my trim for the area into which the convertible top is stored when the top is retracted):

1. A lower belt trim, similar to the 2dr and 4dr Lancer belt trims, except that because of the trim length, it might be in two or three pieces.
2. An upper belt trim that includes the male snaps for the tonneau cover
3. A short trim piece at the forward end of the about two trim types, similar to the equivalent 2dr Lancer lower belt “caps”.

This is what Per E. said about the trim photos that he sent:

“The long one is two parts, the lower one is attached with a clip and a nut and the upper one is attached with a screw in the middle of the press studs. The short one at the end sits like on a 2dr-ht with a clip. It is in exactly the same form as a 2dr-ht only shorter.”

I asked Peter S. a few questions, like:

“One question is whether the lower belt moulding is the same as either the 4 dr hardtop or the 2 dr hardtop or is it a third piece?? And how are these pieces attached to the body? Clips or 10-24 studs and nuts??”

Peter S. replied:

“The lower piece is retained by studs with nuts (I believe 10-24). The upper piece is attached with the sheet metal screws through the button snaps.”

That prompted a second question for Peter:

“Raises another (and hopefully final) question. How does that short cover piece attach over that lower piece?”

To which Peter S. replied:

“It's got a stud that goes straight down and is accessed through the rear door panel area. “

That last reply was different than the answer Per E. gave to the same question. However, I think that both could be right. I have personally replaced OE wire spring trim clips with 10-24 stud clips, particularly on external door trim, both for security and decreasing the rattling potential.

Through all this, I am been searching my parts resources (55-58 Mopar Parts List and the 1956 Collision Damage parts list) to see if I could find the PNs for these convertible trim pieces, especially the small forward most trim “cap”. I did find some PNs but I am not convinced that I have them right.

For example, I have tried searching hard for 1599 730/731 and 1599 726/727 and come up dry. Nada.

Thanks Per E, Peter S and Wayne G for your input

Here are some photos that might help somebody in the future (hopefully):

Edited by 56D500boy 2022-12-27 8:28 PM

(56DodgeCRConvertibleOriginallySoldNewInSweden_RightRearQuarterView.jpg)

(56DodgeCRConvertibleOriginallySoldNewInSweden_LeftRearQuarterView.jpg)

(56DodgeCRConvertibleOriginallySoldNewInSweden_LeftRearTrimShowingThreeTrimTypes.jpg)

(PerEsConvertibleTrimShowingAtLeastThreeTrimTypes_2.jpg)

(PerEsConvertibleTrimShowingAtLeastThreeTrimTypes.jpg)

(56DodgeConvertibleTubTrimShowingThreeTrimTypes_3.jpg)

(56DodgeConvertibleTubTrimShowingAttachmentTypes.jpg)

(56DodgeConvertibleTubTrimShowingAttachmentTypes_2.jpg)

(56DodgeConvertibleLeftSideShowingHoleForShortTrimPieceClip.jpg)

(56DodgeConvertibleLeftSideShortTrimPieceInPlace.jpg)

(PotentialPNsFor56DodgeConvertibleBeltTrimPiece.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 56DodgeCRConvertibleOriginallySoldNewInSweden_RightRearQuarterView.jpg (134KB - 51 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeCRConvertibleOriginallySoldNewInSweden_LeftRearQuarterView.jpg (123KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeCRConvertibleOriginallySoldNewInSweden_LeftRearTrimShowingThreeTrimTypes.jpg (62KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments PerEsConvertibleTrimShowingAtLeastThreeTrimTypes_2.jpg (110KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments PerEsConvertibleTrimShowingAtLeastThreeTrimTypes.jpg (64KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeConvertibleTubTrimShowingThreeTrimTypes_3.jpg (89KB - 55 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeConvertibleTubTrimShowingAttachmentTypes.jpg (125KB - 50 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeConvertibleTubTrimShowingAttachmentTypes_2.jpg (133KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeConvertibleLeftSideShowingHoleForShortTrimPieceClip.jpg (95KB - 55 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgeConvertibleLeftSideShortTrimPieceInPlace.jpg (71KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments PotentialPNsFor56DodgeConvertibleBeltTrimPiece.jpg (134KB - 53 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)