The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harmonic Damper, Balancer, Pulley Installation Tool - Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - VENDOR LINKS and ADSMessage format

PolyJ
Posted 2023-12-13 2:54 PM (#633067)
Subject: Harmonic Damper, Balancer, Pulley Installation Tool - Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth

Veteran

With the high cost of a harmonic damper/balancer/pulley installation tool that fits our Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, and Plymouth engines, I am making installation tools to help others save money and to fund my 1956 Doge coupe project. $10 plus actual shipping/packaging costs (around $8.50 for the contiguous USA). Please direct message me if you're interested in purchasing one.

Tool Fitment:
You will receive one harmonic damper/balancer/pulley installation tool that fits Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth engines with 3/4"-16 crankshaft bolts including poly A-block, LA, B, RB, Street Hemi, slant 6, early Hemi, and early Hemi-block polys including displacements 170, 198, 225, 241, 270, 273, 276, 277, 291, 301, 303, 313, 315, 318, 325, 326, 330, 331, 340, 341, 345, 350, 354, 360, 361, 383, 392, 400, 413, 426, 440.

The tool works for internally balanced engines with harmonic dampers, externally balanced engines with harmonic balancers, and hubbed pulleys used on engines without a harmonic damper. It is the buyer's responsibility to verify the crankshaft uses 3/4"-16 threads and that the tool is long enough to fit the intended purpose. I include steps below demonstrating how the tool works.

Tool Dimensions and Specifics:
The tool includes an approximately 4.75" to 5" long grade-5 bare hardened steel 3/4"-16 threaded installer rod, one grade-5 bare hardened steel 3/4"-16 installer nut, and one zinc-plated 3/4" washer. The tool is designed to be used with the zinc washer against the factory thick washer, which is not included.

Tool Condition:
All components are new, and I have machined and tested the threads to confirm they work smoothly. Note that the installer rod, nut, and washer may have blemishes including nicks, dings, scratches, and flat spots from machining and handling that do not impact functionality. The metals have color variation and are coated in light oil from machining and handling. The rod and nut are bare steel and will corrode if introduced to water/humidity if not oiled. I include a photo of an example showing a typical blemish, and these blemishes, discoloration, oil, and debris should be expected and are not acceptable reasons to return the item.

Harmonic Damper/Balancer/Pulley Installation Instructions to Demonstrate How the Tool Works (reader assumes all physical risk since I provide them only to demonstrate how the tool works and not as directions/suggestions for someone to undertake the work):

1. Lubricate the outside of the cleaned crankshaft snout with motor oil.
2. Lubricate the timing-cover seal with assembly lubricant or oil.
3. Lubricate the outside of the cleaned damper/balancer hub with assembly lubricant or oil, position the hub over the crankshaft snout, align the Woodruff key/keyway, and lightly tap the damper/balancer onto the snout using a rubber mallet until the hub sticks in place (about 1/4").
4. Apply a coat of general-purpose grease to the threads on the installation rod and onto the side of the nut that faces the zinc washer.
5. Thread the installation rod clockwise into the crankshaft 1" minimum, slide the thick washer (not included) over the rod, slide the zinc washer over the rod, and thread on the nut until it seats tightly against the washer.
6. Use an impact wrench, hand ratchet, or hand wrench to tighten the nut clockwise against the damper/balancer until the hub completely presses onto the crankshaft snout and bottoms out of the timing sprocket.
7. Turn the nut counterclockwise to remove it, remove the washers, and turn the installation rod counterclockwise to remove it. If the rod sticks, which is unusual, use soft-jaw pliers or wrap a rag around the threads and use pairs to break it loose.
8. Follow the manufacturer's instructions/specifications for installing and torquing the bolt.

(Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_111.jpg)

(Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_2_5.jpg)

(Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_3.jpg)

(Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_111.jpg (167KB - 23 downloads)
Attachments Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_2_5.jpg (179KB - 31 downloads)
Attachments Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_3.jpg (128KB - 25 downloads)
Attachments Mopar_Harmonic_Installer_4.jpg (182KB - 28 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)