The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Torsion Bars- Driver’s Side and Passenger Side Part Numbers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

JoeyAlvin58
Posted 2017-11-06 8:49 PM (#551762)
Subject: Torsion Bars- Driver’s Side and Passenger Side Part Numbers

Veteran

I’m working on my front suspension height on a 58 Plymouth Belvedere. Do torsion bars have their own part numbers and where are they located? What is the drivers side part number and what is the passenger side part number?
Once again Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mstrug
Posted 2017-11-06 9:20 PM (#551765 - in reply to #551762)
Subject: Re: Torsion Bars- Driver’s Side and Passenger Side Part Numbers

Expert 5K+

They were part numbers 1635-956 & 957. they were the ones that are 1.09" in.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=952&bih=459&ei=Vx8BWv3IF4XVjwSo1pS...

Marc.

Edited by mstrug 2017-11-06 9:27 PM
JT Vincent
Posted 2017-11-07 4:40 PM (#551811 - in reply to #551765)
Subject: Re: Torsion Bars- Driver’s Side and Passenger Side Part Numbers

Expert

You'll want to pay special attention to a couple of things. The driver's side bar is marked L (for left) and the passenger's side is marked R. The letters and part numbers go towards the end of the car. They are absolutely not interchangeable from side to side. Also, when you insert the rear of the bar into the anchor (which should be unbolted) slide it back and then position the front of the bar into the lower control arm. Then make sure the end of the bar is positioned into the anchor so the fork on the anchor is up against the floor board, so when you install the adjuster bolt and cam, it will be at. maximum travel. Unless you adjust the anchor in this position, you will not be able to properly level the car. Sometimes getting the old bar out of the anchor is a real bear. They usually break just inside the anchor. You may require a machine shop to push the end out, or replace the anchor. Once your bar is in place, adjust the adjuster bolt so there is about an inch of thread coming out of the cam. This will be your initial setting while the car is not under weight. Lower the car and adjust your ride height. This is it's own process. Forgive me if you are familiar with this. I post it here for anyone who needs to wrestle with the torsion bars.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)