The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Colo Spgs St. Patrick's Day Parade
Moderators: Lancer Mike

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Local Regions -> Rocky Mountain RegionMessage format

Sonoramic60
Posted 2016-03-15 6:19 PM (#506970)
Subject: Colo Spgs St. Patrick's Day Parade

Expert

Colorado Springs had its St. Patrick's Day parade last Saturday and I know, Saturday was only the 12th, but with all the Orangemen in this town, we take what we can get! At any rate, the Southern Colorado Mopars car club to which I belong did have an entry which allowed us to have about a dozen vehicles in it. As you might expect, most were the late '60s/early '70s and newer Challengers, Chargers, etc. We took MD2 ("Moby Dick II" or the second Great White Whale -- i.e., our '57 300C) and were joined by Duane Essary in his '56 Fury (one of the best-looking Furys). Of course, most of the younger guys had no idea about either car and were perhaps just a shade condescending, saying that they had to eliminate one car because MD2 took up two car spaces. However, once in the staging area very near the start of the parade (we were one of the very first entries) as spectators trooped in and later during the parade itself, our two Forward Looks really gathered the attention, applause, and cheers. In fact, one gentleman who professed to have retired from the executive ranks of GM, came over and talked to us about the cars for some time, telling us of the concern his company had when the early FLKs and, in particular, the '57s came out. He said that was about when GM started rethinking the "Body by Fisher" concept as being too stodgy in the face of "The Forward Look" and "Suddenly It's 1960!". Then he suddenly said that he had something for us and dashed into a nearby apartment building. He came out with a Chrysler T-shirt that he said was given to him on his retirement because of the concern he had expressed way back when about those fantastic Exner designs.
One of the two best things about having a Forward Look car is having an automobile that was designed by a stylist and not the result of computer engineering. The other is having one in which the role engineering played was in the cars' powerplant, transmission, and suspension.
Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lancer Mike
Posted 2016-03-15 9:49 PM (#506989 - in reply to #506970)
Subject: RE: Colo Spgs St. Patrick's Day Parade

Very nice story Joe!

My family and I went to the Denver St. Patrick's Day parade (also on the 12th, but knowing the forecast for the 17th - they made the right call). I waited around for the old cars, but the family had enough before they rolled around. I once got a spot for the ForwardLook group in the Denver parade, but I was the only one to go.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)