The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just home from 6hr drive from Valley Forge Pa to 1000 Islands NY
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

udoittwo
Posted 2023-09-11 9:27 AM (#631795)
Subject: Just home from 6hr drive from Valley Forge Pa to 1000 Islands NY

Expert

Ran steady 75-80MPH all the way. Got what I believe to be fair gas mileage at 18 MPGallon. Ran 87 octane and some carb cleaner.
My Lt. side wiper arm slipped on the pivot. Had that happen on other cars over the years. 1st time the pivot stripped.
Would have thought the arm would be made of softer metal than the pivot. Lot easier to replace the arm than the pivot.

Possible rain going home so I temp. fixed the arm but the blade was shot. Went to NAPA for blade.
He looks out and says that my car uses the same blades as many boats do. Without looking I said, OK? 3 times the price for a boat.
The whole bracket that holds the blade is not compatible so I removed the rubber blade itself along with the 2 stainless strips.
The stainless strips are not as wide as my originals and would fall out of the arm brackets so I used the originals.
The blades will not accept the old stainless their full length so I had to cut the slots a little longer and reverse the blades.
Anyway, I got it all to work but there has to be an easier cheaper way? $31+ NY tax for one side.

Where do I find a nice splined pivot? As a temp fix, I guess I could pull the cover up at the base of the arm and drill a small hole and put in a set screw?
Is there any fix other than replacing the hole assembly?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2023-09-11 8:01 PM (#631800 - in reply to #631795)
Subject: Re: Just home from 6hr drive from Valley Forge Pa to 1000 Islands NY

Expert 5K+

You can just replace the pivot. It's a pain to get to it, but you should be able to get a good used replacement from BigM. Be sure to replace the seals when you do it.

In terms of the blades, I use the plastic replacements. You can cut them shorter to fit, and they slide right in after you remove the old ones & it's stainless slider.
udoittwo
Posted 2023-09-13 3:10 PM (#631837 - in reply to #631800)
Subject: Re: Just home from 6hr drive from Valley Forge Pa to 1000 Islands NY

Expert

Thanks again.
Don't know if it's that getting old thing but I swear the old blades were better? Seems like the new one are harder and chatter more?
Took some back roads on the way up to Canada and stopped below this massive concrete railroad viaduct.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)