The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hello from New Mexico Everyone!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

abqcarl
Posted 2009-08-04 10:16 PM (#184006)
Subject: Hello from New Mexico Everyone!!

Regular

Hiya Kids!!
I first joined this site about 2 or 3 years ago. I wasn't here very long, just making a posting now and then. Shortly after joining, I was diagnosed with cancer of the liver. Went through it a total of four times ultimately. Definitely not recommended. Finally, just before last Christmas I underwent a liver translplant. Cancer-B-Gone! Of course a whole host of other issues arrived with that, but they have been dealt with, and everything is fine now. Was able to go back to work after only three months. I am a Landscaper in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and live in the mountains about 30 miles to the east of the city. I My FL car is something I have always wanted: A '57 DeSoto Wagon. It's a Firesweep Shopper. All white with a green interior. (Ultimately, that will change.) It has around 85,000 miles on it. It runs, but has been off the road for over 20 years now. The brakes are shot, need to be replaced entirely, thinking discs up front. I want to use it to tow a small vintage travel trailer. I named it Virgil. I will post a few pics of it soon, as soon as I get it figured out...

I worked in restoration for a number of years, and painted in regular shops as well, until liver issues required I get out od such a toxic environment. I am also an artist. All of my art is of cars, trucks, travel trailers, and tractors. But mostly cars. The FL cars are my personal favorites as far as styling as well as engineering. I think that the Tail Lights of the '57 DeSotos are the best looking tailights ever made. I am in the planinng stages to build a garage next spring so I can start working in earnest on Virgil. I also have a big vintage trailer too. It's a '50 Startan Royal Mansion. 33' of aluminum and birchwood, waiting to be brought back to life, and taken out on a road trip.

I have a basic plan for the car. The first thing is to pull the engine out, take it all apart and replace all the gaskets and seals, as well as the oil pump. While apart, I'll measure everything to see if there are any problems. If there are, sort them out, and put the engine back in. I want to do the same with the transmission too. If everything checks out, put it all back together, get the brakes on it, and start driving it, and fix it as I go. Since the paint and body will be dead last on the list, I figure that I can at least make the car look cool. Since it's Rental Car Racing White, I'll just do some lettering on it and make it look faded so the car looks like an old support vehicle for a race team of some kind. Maybe as if it had been a Chrysler support vehicle used at Bonneville...
Ultimately though, I see the car in a virbrant deep tuquoise body, with a black roof and sweepspear. Perhaps black out the pillars around the window as well. I kinda think some realistic airbrushed flames contained inside the black lower sweep area would be cool. I already have a set of swivel front buckets out of a '59 Fireflite. I also think about doing buckets in the rear seat area too, that fold down, similar to the '66-'67 Charger setup. The interior would be turquoise/black/white. Upgrade the two speed to a three speed, and add an overdrive unit as well.

Questions I have are mostly about the engine. It has the 325 Poly motor. How durable are these? Any problem areas to look out for? How about the trans?
Any advice on the front disc install? I have to replace the rockers, I can only find 4 door rockers. Will these work?

And finally, when I joined way back when, a member here contactedme about entering my DeSoto i n his registry for '57s. I cannot remember his name. If anyone knows who I am talking about please have him get in touch with me. I'm not sure if I got my info to him or not before the stuff hit the fan for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Look forward to re-joining this group.

Capt Carl

P.S. Just figured that I should add: I think some people here may be able to appreciate this. My daily driver is a 1986 AMC Eagle wagon 4X4. My daily commute is 70 miles. It never gets stuck in the snow, doesn't break, is easy to find in the parking lot, and gets close to 25 mpg. It ain't a Desoto, but it's still an orphan too, and it's old enough that it has a carburetor...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)