Posted 2023-03-21 9:37 PM (#628429) Subject: Creating New Hood Ornament Attachment Cup Washers - 56 Dodge Example
Location: Lower Mainland BC
I honestly don't know whether other mid-50's Mopars used "Cup" washers to attach their hood ornaments to the hood but the 55 and 56 Dodges definitely did.
Sometime (a few years) ago, I attached a NOS 56 Dodge hood ornament to my 56 Dodge Custom Royal sedan after I had painted (spray bombed) the hood. The 56 Dodge hood ornament is attached to the hood at 8 points. Four of these involve "pedestals" that protrude through oblong holes in the hood. These four require "cup" washers to clear the pedestals. The other four attachment points do not protrude and as such do not need cup washers.
When I did attach my NOS hood ornament, I reused the original hardware, including the four cup washers and assorted 1/4-20 studs and nuts, etc. All was good.
Emphasis on "WAS". Sometime recently (a few weeks ago), I looked at the underside of the my car's hood and was shocked to see that it was missing two of the cup washers and associated hardware. No idea when they went missing or where. GONE. GONE. GONE.
Not a real panic since there were still 6 attachment points that were working including two with the OE cup washers.
That said, my friend Del S. has had the opportunity to visit a few wrecking yards over the winter so I put out a request for a couple of cup washers if he was going to visit one of the wrecking yards again. He said that he wasn't going back to any this year but he offered a couple of suggestions.
Based on his suggestions, I started thinking about things that might be used to make (think McGyver) cup washers. I settled on copper plumbing pipe caps and specifically 1" or 1 1/8" caps.
Today I visited a local plumbing and heating parts supply store (while I was looking for bits for my other PCV project) and enquired about copper pipe caps. I was shown 3/4", 1" and 1 1/8". It was a Goldilocks thing. 3/4" was too small and the 1 1/8" was too big. 1" was a bit big (I had taken one of the remaining two OE cup washers with me to compare to the copper pipe caps). I bought four 1" caps.
When I got home, I used my Dremel and E-Z-Cut zip disk to shorten the 1" copper cap to something close to the OE cup washer height. Then I drilled an appropriately sized hole in the center of the cap so a 1/4"-20 stud could pass through and still give some room for adjustments.
After a bit of clean-up and creation of two 1/4"-20 studs (about 1" long) and then running them through a 1/4"-20 die to clean up the threads, I attached the new cup washers to the OE hood ornament with 1/4-20 nuts and star washers.
So far I have left the new cup washers in their original copper but I will paint them silver/aluminum. I think that I will thread lock the studs and use Nyloc nuts too. Should be fine.