steering column removal
fireguyfire
Posted 2017-10-01 3:43 PM (#549543)
Subject: steering column removal

Veteran

Trying to remove the steering column on my 58 Chrysler so that I can remove the body from the frame.
My car is a power steering car.
I have followed the shop manual exactly; Have removed the steering wheel and the turn signal lever, have completely loosened the clamp band just above where the column mates with the power steering gear box, and I have already removed the dash so the steering column inside the car is free.
I can spin the painted sleeve on the outside of the column without turning the wheels, but I cannot get the column to slide up so that I can punch the cotter pin that connects the steering shaft to the gearbox. I have tried prying at the base where they meet but don't want to do any damage; it will simply not slide upwards to expose that cotter pin.
Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Does anyone know how far up I have the slide the outer painted column to expose the cotter pin?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
59 in Calif
Posted 2017-10-02 12:10 AM (#549576 - in reply to #549543)
Subject: Re: steering column removal

Elite Veteran

Did you remove the snap ring at the upper bearing ? Sometimes they are a little tricky to see. It goes around the shaft that is attached to the P/S box. It holds the upper bearing in place. Should be a thin flat washer under the snap ring. The outer column will not come out until that snap ring is removed. Jerry
Top of the page Bottom of the page