1957 DeSoto Advnturer Carpet
'57ADV
Posted 2015-10-13 5:08 AM (#492162)
Subject: 1957 DeSoto Advnturer Carpet

Regular

My quest to find a source of carpet for the 57 Adventurer continues. I am hoping for another original sample to arrive to double check what I am aiming for. In the meantime, I have now contacted over 50 possible suppliers worldwide and I have found no company that has stock of original or reproduction carpet for this model. I have also found nobody that is willing to make a color matched batch with the gold lurex fleck. I have found one company (SMS) who might be interested in exploring a batch of color matched loop pile if I provide the color details. This would NOT have any lurex gold flecks woven into it so would need to be done afterwards by hand. Pricing for this is unknown at present.

I have a small supply of the correct lurex if this is needed.

The biggest problem is finding anyone who is willing to make custom loop pile. Apparently loop pile is unusual now and not many people have the equipment and those that do only want to make truly runs.

I have found two companies willing to hand make a small batch of exact color match loop pile carpet, matching the original weave as close as possible. Both companies are in the UK and the carpet would be 100% wool so beautiful carpet but perhaps not technically as original in terms of the 100% wool but this seems the only way at present to get close to the correct color and weave. Both companies WILL weave in the correct lurex at the time of manufacture so saving a lot of subsequent hand weaving. BUT the cost is VERY high as you might expect. I will obtain a sample at my own cost and this would be checked for accuracy before any order is made. The carpets would NOT be made to fit and would be yardage only so a local trimmer would be required to cut and sew the carpet to your car. The best quote of the two is currently GBP 268 PER Square Metre + 20% VAT if you reside in the UK but I assume UK VAT would not be payable elsewhere but perhaps import charges may apply? I have made a rough calculation that 4.5 M2 would be needed (but anyone who knows different please say!) so the cost for 4.5 M2 would be GBP 1,206 + any tax/import charges PER CAR. I know this is a huge cost compared to an off the shelf brown carpet from SMS or ACC, etc., but I'm pretty sure it would be the closest possible to the original that we can get now. Unless anyone knows somewhere else I can try.

I am personally undecided whether to go this route and much will depend on other costs I have with the car but if anyone is interested in any of these possibilities (SMS color match NO Lurex , or UK hand made color match with lurex) please let me know ASAP and maybe we can get some small discounts agreed. I'd be very interested to hear the forum thoughts on all of this.

I will also need to source a supply of the drivers side heel pads in brown - does anyone know who might supply these?
Best wishes to all. Mark

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mogge65
Posted 2017-09-21 4:07 AM (#548840 - in reply to #492162)
Subject: Re: 1957 DeSoto Advnturer Carpet

Expert

found this Mark

(flash-svart-l.jpg)

(flash-svart-p.jpg)

(flash-svart-s.jpg)

(flash-svart-x_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments flash-svart-l.jpg (176KB - 197 downloads)
Attachments flash-svart-p.jpg (116KB - 200 downloads)
Attachments flash-svart-s.jpg (247KB - 200 downloads)
Attachments flash-svart-x_1.jpg (213KB - 203 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page