OpenDNS
imfinlay
Posted 2011-06-06 6:15 PM (#275726)
Subject: OpenDNS

Extreme Veteran

Looks like OpenDNS have classified this site as a phishing site. I've reported the error.
Ian

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chrispy
Posted 2011-06-06 7:12 PM (#275739 - in reply to #275726)
Subject: Re: OpenDNS

Extreme Veteran

I have as well, we switched from OpenDNS to Google DNS in the mean time.
55poly
Posted 2011-06-08 8:33 AM (#275975 - in reply to #275726)

FwdLk56's Third Account

the *LAST* straw !!!

"F" OpenDNS... this ain't the first time that their "nanny state" mentality has STEPPED OVER THE LINE !!!
i'm a bit paranoid when it comes to 'net security and that is what drew me to OpenDNS - *I WILL NO LONGER USE OpenDNS!*...

they've become more of a *NUISANCE* than anything !!!

jimntempe
Posted 2014-10-10 7:13 PM (#458767 - in reply to #275726)

Expert

What is the reason for limiting the edit function that way?
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2014-10-10 8:39 PM (#458775 - in reply to #275726)

Expert

Jim, your question is valid and I've wondered about that myself aswell, but, you are replying to a (future) spammer which has copied and pasted his reply from somewhere else on the forum.

Here's the original topic with the post in it where the text was copied from by the fake user;
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=37702

Rebels-59 Coronet - 2011-08-13 4:06 AM

All your Posts will have a Edit Function, But the Function is only there for between 12-24 hours ,Then it is Gone.. After that Only a Moderator of that section can Edit OR a Admin..

There have been more posts today on this site by fake users who will turn into spammers in the future.
Spamusers don't start spamming right away anymore these days, so to stay under the radar from the Mods and Admin. Instead, fully automaticly, they copy posts from somewhere else on the forum to make it seem like they are posting some 'related' information to the topic.
But it seems like I'm just one of the very few noticing this behaviour on this site.

jimntempe
Posted 2014-10-10 9:11 PM (#458776 - in reply to #275726)

Expert

I C. I thought all members were "validated" before being allowed to post. Are these new spammers going thru the whole validation process in order to post their spam?
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2014-10-11 5:57 AM (#458792 - in reply to #275726)

Expert

Seeing how many 'obvious' fake users make it to the forum, I don't think so.

Spammers upgrade their techniques all the time. Everything from registering, breaking Captcha-images, logging on and posting topics or posts and even filling in a signature is completely automated. The older the forumsoftware, the easier they can get on it.
Fake users usually also put their username in their signature. Now who else would normally do this?

One of the latest 'things' is they copy the text from an older post somewhere on the forum and repost it as their own, making it look they post a legitimate reply.
In the mean time they don't get banned and even left alone by clueless admin and mods, only to come back later (weeks/months) to suddenly infest a number of topics on the forum with spam, or change their signature into a website link.

The main reason why forum spammers exist is to get their malicious website links spread out over the internet so either clueless people click on them or/and Google pics up on these and ranks their crummy site higher in the rankings.

Spammers are controlled by one or more 'master' computers on the net, which control a legion of hacked other pc's.
These master computers let the hacked slave pc's send out (email)spam and probe just about every webserver and forum to see if they can inject spam or links.
Rebels-59
Posted 2014-10-11 7:38 AM (#458797 - in reply to #275726)

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

Alerted this Thread to Admin, This Spammer will be Banned soon,, Good work in linking back to my original post Herman..

Unfortunately , All new Members can post as soon as the join, There is no "Check and Activate" new members system here ,

ronbo97
Posted 2014-10-12 1:08 AM (#458903 - in reply to #458797)

Expert

There are several ways to defeat the automated registration process. One is to display a photo with a numeric or letter sequence. The bot can't read the writing in the image and will fail the test. Also, asking a simple question that only a human can interpret will defeat the spammer. Finally sending an email with a temp password will work to defeat the spammer, as the automation software will not be able to handle that.

Ron

BigBlockMopar
Posted 2014-10-12 4:37 AM (#458907 - in reply to #275726)

Expert

The random hard to read text/numbers in an image is mostly 'cracked' already by the spambots.
Indeed the only thing that can hold them off during registration is having to answer the kind of question that only a human could.

By the way, the 'Big M - youtube'-topic has also been brought up by a fake user aswell.
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=51429&...
http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/view-profile.asp?action=view&uid=...

Rebels-59
Posted 2014-10-12 5:37 AM (#458909 - in reply to #275726)

I am unsure what Registration pretection the Spoftware used on this actually has in its system,

On another forum i help Admin, we have the Question and Answer Human verification in place , giving 2 answers to chose from, Then they recieve a activation link to their registered Email, so if False they still cannot get in, And even then once the do activate their account by genuine Email, A Admin then has to Actually activate it , this is done after checking their IP and any suspicious User Name via Google..

It is a great system we have on VB4 and stops all Bots and Spammers from registering, The only downside is if Admin are not online at the time, a New Member may have to wait a few hrs for a admin to activate their account and allow them to post..

I know eventually Dave wants to Move to VBulletin, I imagine the delay in doing so is because it is very hard to transfer all the Threads and Posts to a Vbulletin Forum form a different Software, And will entail using a 3rd party Software with Codes, As we tried this before and couldnt do it on our own.. If dave does eventually move to VB then i think he will no doubt use their security registration system to stop the the majority of the spammers from registering

Herman , i have Alerted this other Spammer to Admin as well to be banned.. You are on the Ball mate...

Clive

Edited by Rebels-59 Coronet 2014-10-12 5:43 AM
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2014-10-12 6:42 AM (#458913 - in reply to #275726)

Expert

Manual activation by an Admin is a good way to stop automated registrations, but can still let fake users come in if the Admin doesn't recognize them as such. But it can also turn away legit users perhaps.
I've registered myself on a admin-activated forum in the past a few times, and for a new user I found it very annoying having to wait for the admin to get online again and activate me. Being across the planet this usually means having to wait a full day for the activation.

I have activated the admin-notification on my own forums aswell some time back but it was annoying to keep up with, and not to mention all the notification-emails you are getting in your mailbox aswell. So I turned it all off again and started using the human question-security settings, which has been 100% succesful since a year or two.
I've seen vBulletin is not safe for spammers either. What gets me most is that you even pay for their software & support and spammers still manage to find their way to the forum.
FwdLk56
Posted 2014-10-12 8:09 AM (#458917 - in reply to #458775)

BigBlockMopar - 2014-10-10 8:39 PM

Spamusers don't start spamming right away anymore these days, so to stay under the radar from the Mods and Admin. Instead, fully automaticly, they copy posts from somewhere else on the forum to make it seem like they are posting some 'related' information to the topic.

also notice that these future spammers always copy-paste into very OLD threads...
this spammer posted to a thread THREE YEARS OLD !!!...
FwdLk56
Posted 2014-10-12 8:18 AM (#458918 - in reply to #458792)

BigBlockMopar - 2014-10-11 5:57 AM

Spammers are controlled by one or more 'master' computers on the net, which control a legion of hacked other pc's.
These master computers let the hacked slave pc's send out (email)spam and probe just about every webserver and forum to see if they can inject spam or links.

my dad's computer became one of these "slave pc's" a few summers back...
my dad isn't exactly from the "computer age" and he's quite easily "fooled" some times though he has learned from past mistakes...
knowing how to play solitaire, send e-mails, install a few chess games, and browse the web doesn't exactly make one "computer literate"...

scan frequently for "malware", dad's pc was a "slave" for close to six or seven months before he even caught wind of it (the 'master' pc used the 'slave' pc to send a nudy pic to dad's minister, kinda hilarious to think back at)...
Administrator
Posted 2014-10-13 1:26 PM (#459041 - in reply to #458909)

Elite Veteran

I know eventually Dave wants to Move to VBulletin, I imagine the delay in doing so is because it is very hard to transfer all the Threads and Posts to a Vbulletin Forum form a different Software, And will entail using a 3rd party Software with Codes, As we tried this before and couldnt do it on our own..

Bingo.  Trying to get everything to move over is a real challenge.  We will get there eventually though.

Rebels-59
Posted 2014-10-14 3:49 PM (#459207 - in reply to #458913)

BigBlockMopar - 2014-10-12 11:42 AM

I've seen vBulletin is not safe for spammers either. What gets me most is that you even pay for their software & support and spammers still manage to find their way to the forum.

You do buy the Licence for Vbulletin, for example we paid about $250 for VB4, but that is for Life time use, any upgrades to VB4 are all Free, Any problems and to go to VB.com for Free assistance and Support , For Modifications i visit VB.Org which is where the Coders hang out, So many Mods to chose from and to enhance the forum,, The only time you pay any extra , is if you want a Modification custom made for you, Then you can hire a Coder on VB,Org

Yes last year Hackers got into all VB Software, VB4 and VB5.. They done this as forums all had the Include Files for Upload of software visible, It has since be rectified and VB4 is Very Stable.
I wouldnt recommend VB5 to anyone at this time, As it is riddled with Bugs,

Clive