Re: 318 Poly Valve Train Question

Gary,

Thanks for the response!  This is great information.  The engine I have is a 66 block and contains solid lifters.  Some folks have suggested that I replace the lifters with hydraulics from a later LA design.  I'm all for less maintenance, but my concern is that the existing cam is designed for solid lifters, and that one for hydraulics would be different.

This project is designed to be a "quick" cleanup (as if that ever happens) of a "recently rebuilt" Poly allegedly with about 20k miles on it that was pulled and stored for 10 years or so.  The engine had a bent exhaust push rod on the No 8 cylinder, which is likely why they pulled the motor.  The cause appeared to be a water leak via the intake manifold  causing hydraulic valve lockup.  The rest of the motor looks consistent with the story as told,  as does the fact that it came with new heads.

Further complicating the story, and crushing collector value, is that the W500 obviously orginally came with the 251 flathead engine thread offered in that year only.  Some prior owner was apparently a skilled stick welder, and fabricated and welded  to the frame engine mounts for the later 318 LA.  This ran fine, but had a minor fire on my watch, and I happened into the Poly, which is "correct" for the truck and looks cool.  Sic transit Gloria....

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks again!