Re: An intermittent starting issue...

Scott, yes that's the starter relay, and usually when they fail, they're gone for good instead of becoming intermittent.  Looking at your photo and the wiring diagrams I have, the small brown wire that goes off to the bottom of the picture is the neutral safety switch lead to the transmission and the small yellow wire just above it is the hot lead that turns the relay on to start the car.  It goes to the bulkhead connector and to the ignition switch "start" terminal.  That terminal looks to be just barely connected to the relay's "ST" terminal.

Before starting any electrical work I always disconnect the negative battery terminal to avoid letting the magic smoke out of anything electrical.  Getting that smoke back in is almost always expensive and frustrating.  Just joking.   But seriously, it only takes a momentary accidental touch of a hot lead to a grounded part and your problems will have just begun!!  (ask me how I know this.)

Back to your yellow wire now.  I would pull it loose and check for broken wire strands where the terminal is crimped  to the wire and replace that terminal with a fresh insulated one if needed.  For that matter, I would do that anyway because it looks like a trouble spot in the making to me.  I would do the same for the neutral safety switch wire as well, because I just don't like uninsulated connectors close to each other.   Those terminals should be quite snug on the relay terminals, not loose at all and I would put a dab of dielectric grease into the terminals and connect and disconnect them to be sure they were snug and making good positive contact with the relay terminals.  Whild tinkering with the start relay, I would loosen and retighten all the other connectors with a dab of dielectric grease on each of them.  If 40+ years have caused corrosion to start in one connection, I would bet it's doing the same in most of the rest of the electrical connectors in the car and likely there will continue to be one intermittent problem after another.

The rest of the circuit that turns the starter relay on is the bulkhead connector and the ignition switch.  What I do whenever I'm looking for a gremlin in that ares is unplug the bulkhead connector at the firewall, check for burned or corroded contacts, spray some WD-40 or electrical contact cleaner into both sides of the connector and plug and unplug it several times as described above, then I'd smear some dielectric grease into the firewall mounted (female) side of the bulkhead connector, plug and unplug it a couple of times and call it good.

Other possibilities include loose wiring at the ignition switch or a defective switch, but I would bet the previous procedures would solve your problem.

BC