Re: 62 413 max wedge woos

You said for fun so you should be fine. See the latest issue of Car Craft. Back 07 I think it was Magnante build a very mild max wedge look motor based on a 440 and using edelbrock 500 cfm carbs. (No they didn't even put it in a 69 camaro lol) This new build is the same motor but with a stroker kit hot roller cam etc. but the original mild build came out great. Of course you will spend quite a bit more for the max set up than a big single four for no performance advantage on a mild motor but if one wants that look one must fork it out.

On Jan 8, 2013, at 11:48 PM, mrdozerman@xxxxxxx wrote:

Looking for some advise, Building a 62 max wedge dart,have a rebuilt 63 chrysler  413, 10/10 crank, 030. bore stock pistons, rebuilt stock heads. I was told i may have to go back and beef up this motor even more to work  with the dual carbs. Going to make a nice cruiser but want it to run right, have the max wedge exhaust,, but wondering if i should use this motor but if it takes to much to go back and redo heads and pistons i probably would start with a 440. will i need to shave the heads and change pistons? what would be the right cam, carbs and torque converter for the fun?it has a 3.43 suregrip in it, thanks for the great website, get lots of advise and entertainment from all of you, Russell

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Pavlovich <glpavlovich@xxxxxxx>
To: 1962to1965mopars <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Jan 7, 2013 2:14 pm
Subject: Re: to Poly, or not to Poly.......

Jack,

OK; opinions and facts mixed together may help you decide what to do.
Fact(?) a 1978 Dodge 440 would be an anemic engine without more compression,
cam and the one you have is probably around 230HP....
318 Poly 2-bbl 3.91 x 3.31 bore & stroke, 9.0:1 comp. 230HP @ 4400, 340
torque @ 2400
1974+ 440 w/four barrel carb - depending on chassis install:
V8-440 4-bbl 4.32 x 3.75 bore & stroke 8.2:1 comp. 230HP @ 3600 350 torque @
3200 45-65
V8-440 (Calif.) 4-bbl 4.32 x 3.75 bore & stroke 8.2:1 comp.220HP @ 3600 345
torque @ 3200 45-65
V8-440 4-bbl 4.32 x 3.75bore & stroke 8.2:1comp. 275HP @ 4400 375 torque @
3200 45-65

I suspect your Poly "as is" would run much better than your free 440 "as is"
and your Poly with a four barrel intake & carb alone would far outperform it
and get 30% better mileage.  Fact; a "built" 440 will always be more
powerful than any Mopar small block and a "built" 318 Poly can easily make
425HP & 440ft. lbs. of torque but you did not say what your intentions for
the truck are so I will make assumptions and give you "my" opinion to weigh
w/the other opinions you gather.

I don't think you will gain any appreciation/improvement in the way the
truck drives at all by swapping your current Poly for a 1978 440 engine when
you count the cost of fabbing new motor mounts, clearances fore the engine
trans, new exhaust hookup/welding, new driveshaft, new alternator/pulley
brackets, more weight with very little Torque or HP gain for the weight you
are adding, plus the expense of these modifications.  To make the swap
worthwhile, in my opinion, you will have to make some internal modifications
to the 440 such as increased compression, a larger camshaft & lifter
package, gasket set, and four barrel intake - perhaps a distributor?
My thought is that you want a "good running" truck that is fun and
dependable to drive and if that is what you are after then stick with your
Poly for the following reasons;
The Poly is more dependable, less expensive to run, just as easy to acquire
replacement parts since most of what "breaks" when on the road is the same
part as an LA 318/340 (water pump, generator, wires, coil, distributor
parts, carb, freeze plug...), more fun to drive that a smogger 440, unique
enough to garner tons of attention when you lift the hood, it "belongs" in
your truck (indigenous powerplant), can easily be modified for more HP &
Torque (if desired) with a cam/lifter set & larger 2bbl. carb for little
more money than the equivalent 440 parts (I can make sure of that), and you
don't have to FABRICATE any parts to make it fit...just turn the key with
your currently Poly-powered truck and smile.

Lastly, the 440 was "free" and is a valuable core motor to build properly
for killer HP & Torque...but that is not your goal; is it?

Gary Pavlovich