Date: 10/22/2012 7:40:45 PM
Subject: Re: cold weather welding

I have been welding many years,alittle preheat to remove any moisture and your good.a heat gun or a soldering tourch is good.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM, Herb <zephyr9900@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have welded in subzero weather inside, outside, upside down, right side up, with out any preheat on several continents with no known issues.........But.........as a self taught welder, no one ever told me it needed to be preheated.   Well, Neal, if you think about it it does have merit!  Gosh I hope I don't have a trail of broken items backtracking me all over!  Oops!!

I'm sure with good penetration and a proper bead your welds should be just fine in any weather we encounter here in the lower 48 states, or is it 57?    Ya that's right we have 48 they have 57, well never mind!    I would inspect the welds a little closer for cracks after cooled and you clean them up.

  Herb

1954 DeSoto Firedome Estate Wagon 276 HEMI
1956 Plymouth Belvedere 361 4-Sale
1959 Dodge Coronet 326 Poly
1961 Plymouth Belvedere Custom Suburban Wagon 318 Poly
1961 Dodge Dart Pioneer Wagon 318 Poly
1963 Plymouth Fury 2D/HT 7.0L Gen III HEMI
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible 361
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst 440
1979 Dodge Aspen Sport Wagon 360
1999 Durango SLT 5.9L
2008 SRT-8 Magnum 6.1L