Re: 65 Coronet no longer charging well

Do not pull the cable from the post.  A good way to  damage something.. While running. You could get a lively spark from the battery from pulling the cable.  If you happen to have gas fumes .  (boom)  Not likely but it has happened. Get your self a load tester.  Parts stores have them. Also they have instructions .  Testers are pretty self explaining.  You can tell if battery is bad.  If alternator is charging correctly.  .  One other way to tell if alt is bad is with key off take a screw driver and place it on  very back of alt and see if it has any pull.  Like magnet.  If fairly strong pull alt should be good.  Weak or no pull alt is bad.  You can also full field the alternator.  The other way is take to alt and regualtor of and take them to parts store that will test them for free.