Re: mig welding aluminum?

Chrome Moly should be tig welded.

Best Aluminum welding is with TIG  or MIG w/spool gun

Bob Fort Jr
Fort Racing
www.fortracing.com
610-636-7688

In a message dated 9/10/2012 8:33:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, hemirr@xxxxxxxxx writes:
In another parallel life I built a few choppers in '72 through '74 and followed the chopper mags pretty closely.  One big controversy in those days was chopper frames and modification of stock frames done by stick welding as opposed to MIG.  I.E. those doing the stick welding insisted it was OK while the other side insisted that such things should only be built or modified with MIG, especially building a new frame out of "chrome moly" tubing.  There were also articles on MIG welding aluminum case parts, I recall an article going through the steps of welding up a cracked engine case on a BSA.  I haven't done it myself though.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana, harboring of bunch of old and newer Mopars