Re: Odd Disc Brake Situation

Are you obsoletely positively sure you have the calipers on the correct side or not two right or two left calipers?  Your narration yells of air in the caliper.  Looking at the mounted caliper the bleeder has to be on the top, if not there is air in it and you can bleed every known way using thousands of gallons of fluid with the same result.  Power or non-power brakes makes no difference.

-------Original Message-------

From: Eric R
Date: 7/27/2012 3:10:51 PM
Subject: Odd Disc Brake Situation

I posted this at Forwardlook as those guys have a lot of AAJ brake conversions, but got no response.

I bought the same kit for my 300 as I did with the Newport ( both '62's) the only difference being the 300 has power brakes and the Newport has non power.

I converted to AAJ. Previously I'd asked if a single pot push enough fliud to work the front discs. The answer was yes. The reason I'd asked as I had no pedal but if I clamped both front rubber lines I had pedal.

I converted to a '76 Dart M/C for power disc/drums. I still have the same issue. No pedal unless I clamp off the two front caliper hoses.

Strange thing is,  without the clamp and no pressure on the pedal, there is a tiny bit of pressure on the discs so they don't spin completely free, like the pressue is there, but I get pedal all the way to the floor.   Then it'll rise back up.

There appears to be enough natural pedal travel. It looks like the correct style booster.

I bleed the heck out of the m/c and all the lines. I used a Mityvac as well. Calipers are installed correctly, I used the same kit on my non-boosted Newport,works fine.

Why would blocking the calipers off give me pedal?