Re: What degree thermostat?

Personally I like and run 180 degree.  I would stay away from auto
parts house off the shelf thermostats.  Consider going with a high
flow such as the following:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIL-16406/

I put a standard stat and one of these in a pan of water had heated it
until they opened.  The opening on the high flow stat is much larger
than a standard stat.

If you over heat with this stat you will need to look into the cooling
system futher.  A real temperature gauge is helpful.  Just keep in
mind that once a thermostat is fully open there is nothing else it can
do.  So even if you have a 160 degree in the car if coolant
temperature exceeds 160 because of other cooling system issues that
stat has done all it can do.  It is also not a good idea to run
without a stat.

Take Care
Dennis C.