Re: A dissertation upon piston coating, clearances and oil - long and bo

Re: A dissertation upon piston coating, clearances and oil - long and boring? 2 pictures incl

Thanks for posting that, Rich...

It's the most informative explanation I've ever seen on modern engine
development and the relationship with increasingly lower viscosity
oils.

We recently acquired a new Subaru, the oil is 0W-40 or something, now
I'm understanding that tolerances must be very fine in that to be able
to get away with what my oil expert friend calls 'sewing machine oil'.

Of course, the whole engine has to be built with a mind to using that
lubricant.

It brings to mind the assertion of engine designer Phil Irving during
the period the Repco-Brabham Formula One engines were suffering from
valvegear failures back in 1968. Phil reckoned it might be necessary
to use a different lubricant and lubrication system for the top end of
the engine.

Ray