Engine Noise

I tried to start my 64 Fury (318 poly, PB trans) a couple weeks ago and the engine wouldn't turn over.  Tried other batteries and seems that the engine was locked-up or jammed (the car has been sitting since late Fall).  Yesterday, I changed the starter, thinking that maybe it was weak, or going bad, and the engine resisted, then turned and started.

However, there is a loud noise that comes out of the upper engine, a loud tapping (not the softer tap when a lifter is out of adjustment), that varies by RPM.  I haven't taken the valve covers or anything off, as it was only one of many things I was doing on the fleet yesterday, but did change the oil, which was very black and just old, but contained no water.  The car doesn't get driven much, as I continue to work on it's other peculiarities, but this is just out of the blue.

Any first thoughts on what to look for?  Before being put up for the Winter, she ran fine.

Larry (Akron)