From: Ray Bell <raybell46@xxxxxxxxx>
To: The 1962 to 1965 Mopar Mail List Clubhouse <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 2, 2011 2:41:33 PM
Subject: Re: ? about these 83/4 rears

Yes, you can get aftermarket axles to suit...

Doctor Diff has them, a number of people sell them on eBay. Doctor
Diff is actually very helpful and will guide you through the whole
thing. Basically, I don't think you have to change the backing plates,
nor the drums if you can actually get them off the original hubs, but
I'd be thinking of going to 11" x 2.5" drums anyway, especially if
you're putting discs or 11" x 3" drums on the front.

These axles, which I feel sure come from China, can be cut to whatever
length you need. But there's another point here... the axle length for
your model (I'm pretty sure...) differs by an eighth of an inch or so
for Sure Grip and open centres. If you're running a Sure Grip then
it's not a problem, but if you have an open centre and you want to put
either a Sure Grip OR a later model open centre in there, you need the
slightly shorter axle length.

Then there's the issue of the adjuster. On the early cars, adjustment
of the axle thrust was made by using shims under the retainer, on
later cars there is an adjuster on one axle only. These are easily
obtained from any later model C-body (etc) axle.

So, the answer is:

Buy aftermarket axles cut to the right length.
Use a Sure Grip or later thrust spacer in your centre.
Obtain the axle retaining plates, with the adjuster on one, from a
later model housing ('65 and up).
Fit later model brakes (from the car you get the retainers?)

Ray

On Dec 2, 4:23 pm, dcdri...@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I notice from reading all the info from all of you guys that it seems to me that most of you change the housing to get rid of the 2-piece axles.My question to all  of you is this....Can one just buy 1-piece aftermarket axles and cure the problem of the 2-piece???Seems to me that this would be much easier to do than changing to a completely diff housing.
> My project for those of you that do not know is a 63 Polara 500.Will be running a 380hp crate motor with a 727 push button.Car currently has a 383 2bbl with a 727.....parts car is a 63-440 with a 318 poly and 727
>
> Thanks in advance guys
>
> Jim

Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. That is, send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!