Re: Early '62 Newport? Fuel Sending Units

Re: Early '62 Newport? Fuel Sending Units

Actually, this Atwater Kent is not connected to the old company.

>From this Atwater Kent site "

"In the mid 1970's, known as the JF Sullivan Company, we were the
first to implement a program for the full manufacture and rebuilding
of fuel tank sending units.  This has allowed the later Atwater KentŽ
to provide service to such well known firms as General Motors, Ford,
Chrysler Corporation, the Charles P. Chrysler Museum, and Rolls Royce
of Beverly Hills."

>From a history of the Atwater Kent radio company -

"In 1924, the company moved to a new $2 million plant covering 15
acres at 4700 Wissahickon Street [Philadelphia]. This plant was later
expanded with the addition of a similar building across the street to
cover 32 enclosed acres. Atwater Kent was the largest manufacturer of
radios in the country from 1926 through 1929. In 1929 they were
producing a million receivers a year.

"Following a decline in demand for high-end radios during the
depression, and faced with unwanted union organization attempts, Mr.
Kent closed his company in 1936. The Wissahickon Street plant can
still be seen today. "

So the Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company of 2011 is in no way
connected to the original Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company that
closed its doors in 1936.  No matter what they imply -

"In keeping with our roots, the Atwater KentŽ Manufacturing Company
has maintained it's [sic] deep heritage by the introduction of it's
[sic] world class Atwater KentŽ Radios.  The Atwater KentŽ  line of
radios expose the inner world of true quality married with modern art.
 The Atwater KentŽ radio's extremely distinctive construction and
matchless sound quality give our listeners a truly remarkable
experience."

The Atwater Kent in Delware the site mentions is the Atwater Kent
Manufacturing Co Inc. of Wilmington, Delaware, a private investment
holding firm founded in 1948.

.And the original Atwater Kent made only radios, and no automotive
fuel and ignition parts.

Bill
Toronto, ON