Re: R and Rs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Rant and Raves

Re: R and Rs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Rant and Raves

Yes it's was nice.  I'm in the middle, I'm 44, so I grew up with out computers ruling the world, but I was young enough to learn and help invent some of the tech that people are using now.  I think it is true that most of the younger bunch don't really care how things work, they just want it to work.  I am that way too with some things.  I could care less how my microwave oven works, I installed that built in gizmo so I care enough to know how to mount it to the wall, and change the light bulb in it, but the rest of it...no way.  When it breaks I will just go buy a new one.

My 1999 Ford Windstar van, I won't even work on it.  I'll change the battery and wiper blades, but I won't even change the oil in it, I'll pay for it to be done.  But my 1962 Newport, I won't let just any monkey touch it.  I love my old car, and can tear it apart in my mind all day long and know what bolt goes where.  However teaching my friend Ali, he's my best friend and helps me work on my beast, about my car he really doesn't care.  He saw the points and what's under the cap, and asked me what all that does.  He just wanted to know it made the spark, not how it works.  Now, open the hood of a 2010 BMW and he wants to know everything about it, not things like how that sensor that detects Knocking adjusts the motor timing to make it not ping, he wants to know how fast it will go, how fast will it go around the corner, can we take it for a test drive.

For me sometimes details get lost when general info is all that's needed.  I personally don't care why water comes out of the tap when I turn on my faucet, I just want the water.  Some times I over simplify things due to laziness...not always a good idea.  Miss information is a bitch.  I personally am glad that people will take the time to explain things the right way...it's up to the reader to decide how much they want to learn, sometimes I want details, some times not.

Thanks Dodger