Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 8:45 AM
To: 1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Dart's new stance

They were made by a local spring company. I probably paid more for them than
I could have ordered up pre-made ones, but I know the quality of what I
have. These were done by Standard Spring, and I've had nothing but good
experiences. So when it came time to look at the rear leafs on the Dart, I
simply dropped it off there. There was actually some miscommunication. When
I dropped it off, I asked them to make it 2 - 3 inches higher than it was. I
was looking for the tops of the tires to be about even with the wheel
openings. The technician gave me 2 - 3 inches between the tires and the
wheel openings.

When I picked it up, the Dart had a serious rake on it. My first reaction
was "Oh, crap". I didn't like it. So I talked to my fiend there, and asked
him if it would settle. He said "No, we used the good stock". Crap. I told
him I thought it was too high, and he told me he thought it looked great. He
also told me at the time that the torsion bars didn't look like they had
ever been adjusted, so to do the front end and bring it back for alignment.
They would then bring the front up to have the same clearance between tires
and wheel openings at the front. If I still didn't like it, they would drop
the rear a bit.

We did everything in the front end that showed any signs of wear. That wound
up being upper control arm bushings, outer tie rod ends, shocks, pitman arm,
and idler arm. Then back it went for the alignment, where they raised the
front end. Adjusting the torsion bars brought the rear bumper back down more
than I thought it would, and now I completely love the way it sits. So I'm
glad now that they did it their way, rather than exactly what I had asked
for.

The only thing now is that the tires look smaller. They don't look bad
really, just that I had gotten used to the "stuffed" look. I really likes
how those 245/70/15's looked like they were shoehorned onto the car. So I'm
going to be measuring it up for some new kicks. Going with 245's on the
front, and aiming for around 275's on the rear. Plan is to go with 15x8's
for the new wheels, but to stick with the smoothes. I think they suit the
car well.

- Ray