Re: Random Bad Thoughts

That's 41 mpg ADVERTISED (although I think it was closer to 35).  In
real life, as with everything you see on television, things were are
quite as advertised.

The K-cars were good on gas due to weight. Or lack thereof.  A 1981 K
car weighed around 2,400 lbs.  A 2002 Stratus, a successor to the K
car, weighed 3,100 lbs. Today's Avenger starts at 3,300 lbs.  As usual
with Detroit, things start out small and then grow in length, width
and weight.   And as the late, great Raymond Loewy used to say, weight
is the enemy.

Using vegetables for fuel is good.  May bring about lower fuel prices,
initially, but your dinner is going to cost more.  Every cob of corn
processed for fuel is one less to eat.  Agricultural land is not
infinite and thus you can grow only so much.  As with everything in a
free market, higher demand brings higher prices.  So, actually, you
will be paying more for corn to eat, and, eventually, more for corn to
burn in your car.

Cell phones were bricks with antennae back in 1981.  iPods were
introduced in 2001.  Back in 1981 the big thing was 8 tracks.  And PC
computers, with two 5½" drives, no hard drive, 64k ram and a
monochrome monitor, set you back a couple of thousand 1981 dollars. Of
course, you could buy a Commodore 64 for less.

Bill
Vancouver, BC