From: Ben Morgan
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:36 AM
Subject: RE: Welcome returning member - 1964 Dodge Polara

Sorry I have been gone for so long. Been dealing with things like putting kids through college, being a property owner, and so on, but I did not sell my cars. I did manage to get my '66 Coronet 500 running as a black primered hot rod, but that is outside the realm of this group.

I held on to the '64 Polara, could not bear to sell it, used to think maybe I could afford a crate hemi someday, maybe someday I still can, but had to let that idea go for now. What inspired me to resurrect this project was actually rat rods, building neat old cars out of real old car parts. No, I am not going to turn the Polara into a rat rod, but it inspired me to think it would be cool to build a 50's or early sixties car as neat car using the original engine and drive train, even the bench seats, but rebuild it in nice cool style with perhaps hopping up the original engine. Then it occured to me I already had a car that would fit that mold, the '64 Polara.

The kids helped me pull it out of the weeds and I cleaned it up and sprayed the body with a fresh coat of epoxy primer. I am gald I stripped it down and prepped it up years ago because that helped preserve the steel while it sat abandoned for a few years. I still have most of the orginal parts including the big block transmission and a 4-door parts car, but the original 383 engine was tossed years ago (I bought the car complete with a burned up engine). Wish I had done that because of a lot of parts I could use now. So I started buying parts. I have the parts to install a 318, but could not bear to do that to an original big block car. So I found a complete 361 engine/trans removed from a '64 Chrysler Newport, good engine but broken trans. Perfect, looks like a 383 and has '64 casting numbers. I need to overhaul it before I install it, fall/winter project. I also found a 1963 383 4-bbl manifold and '67 4-bbl carb & air cleaner. I have some questions with group regarding these parts but have to run for now.

Right now I bought an impact socket to change the upper ball joints. something I have never done before. Any good tips?

-Ben Morgan