Re: 318 poly electronic dist. upgrade

Go with the Chrysler Dist.  Most any elctronic dist from 74 up from a
318 or 360 should fit.  I have never had a problem with them and the
only thing that I can think of that would cause the one you got not to
fit is the drive gear is messed up some how.   I would take a little
bit off of the dist so it went into the slot.  If you don't need very
must to make it fit.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Ray Henry <62dart@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK, I was given an electronic distributor for my '62 318 poly that was
> supposed to be a drop-in, as it's for a mid-70's 318-340-360 SB. Very nice
> looking unit, milled housing, with GM module/cap/coil. However, when I went
> to drop it in, I discovered that the distributor shaft is slightly larger
> than the slot in the drive, preventing it from dropping all the way in. So I
> guess my first question is could that drive inside the block easily be
> swapped out for a mid-70's SB one?
>
> Second question is should I bother, or will the distributor from a '79 318
> SB actually fit without changing that drive? A friend of mine works in a
> wrecking yard that has just received a low-mileage '79 Cordoba that they
> will be parting out.
>
> I've upgraded to an alternator, so the full voltage requirements should be
> easily met for the GM style distributor, but I'm thinking I went to the
> trouble to use Mopar for the alternator rather than the GM, so sticking with
> Mopar is just somehow right.....
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies....
>
> - Ray
>

> --
> --
> Please address private mail -- mail of interest to only one person -- directly to that person. That is, send parts/car transactions and negotiations as well as other personal messages only to the intended recipient, not to the Clubhouse public address. This practice will protect your privacy, reduce the total volume of mail and fine tune the content signal to Mopar topic.  Thanks!

> http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/mletiq.html and http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/general_disclaimer.html.
> --

Gwwilson