Re: any trouble ahead of me

Gary,

Mopar's new formula engine paint just can't take the heat. I've seen 383's, 440's rebuilt and repainted and within a few weeks the stock manifold heat just blisters away the valve cover paint on the right side, along with the heat riser area of the intake manifold.

On my Max Wedge I had the same problem with the right side valve cover. A big blister below and under the decal and the worst part is that you can't remove the right side valve cover with the intake manifold and exhaust manifold in place. My Max Wedge manifolds will reach 700 degrees and will melt those repro/offshore wire looms.

My cure was to sand down the blister, taking time not to damage what was good. Now I was not about to spray any paint around my black car so I sprayed into a glass jar some VHT Flame Proof 1300-2000 degree white primer and brushed it on the valve cover. I did the same with VHT Flame Proof 1300-2000 degree orange. It looked like a good repair and I wanted to protect it.

The only answer I could come up with was to make a heat shield. I made the shield and for the remainder of last season and this season so far it looks like the day I did the repair. The heat shield worked, most people don't see it, Mopar people don't question it, and those that have asked about it want one for their car.

The real answer to this is have the exhaust manifold ceramic coated inside and out which will reduce the temperature, over and done. I may do this over the winter and when repainting the engine use Allis Chalmers Persian Orange used from 1961 to 1970, the closest match I've seen to Max Wedge Orange.

I've attached a template of the shield and 2 photos of it installed.

Nick Tiberio

FuryUs63

I've attached a copy of the Manifold Shield template, .015 aluminum