Re: Electrical question

Fuel gauge,,,,,,, did the rest of your gauges work properly? if so it is more than likely the ground strap

Brake lights,,,,, did your interior lights, and dash lights work ? if not check fuses, if they did work, jumper the wires at the brake light switch, if they work then, it is the switch,,,, if they still do not work, I would find the rear chassis harness plug connection, and check for corrusion, both your taillights and fuel gauge probably go through that same plug,,,