RE: alignment

Here is what Don Dulmage posted several years ago regarding alignment
with radials on our cars.

Paul L.
'63 Sport Fury
440/727
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-lennemann63.html

4/14/06

for radial tires the specs are normally quite close to 0 camber and 0
caster (aka a neutral alignment. ) to check take a small plum bob or
make one with a heavy washer and a piece of string. With the wheels
straight ahead hang the string and bob over the fender so the string
passes through the centre of the wheel. When it stops swinging measure
the distance from the string to the top side of the wheel rim and then
from the string to the bottom side of the wheel rim. In real life the
top measurement should be just slightly shorter than the bottom
measurement . About 1/8 of an inch which gives the car just a slight
amount of Posotive camber and helps put a bit more load on the inner
wheel bearing which is larger on our cars. Anything from that to both
exactly the same would be "in specs" so to speak.
Next with the wheels still straight ahead hold the string to the bolt of
the upper ball joint . the washer or bob should be almost centered over
the bolt for the bottom ball joint. That would be 0 degrees. If it is
forward it would be neg caster and if it is behind it would be positive
caster.

rule of thumb

When i am standing facing the front of my car anything coming towards me
(from front to back or from the side) is negative (Caster Camber)
anything going away from me is postive (Caster . camber ) It makes sense
of you think about it . "if i am standing in front of a car anything
coming towards me is negative. " hard to forget.

And now a short note for those who have already said i think it would be
a lot better getting it lined up on a modern computer ized alignment
machine. (which never has your 62 to 65 alignment specs init anyway and
may have been dropped five times that week alone and could be seriously
out of calibration from ther drops and abuse) let me assure you that i
can absolutley guarantee that the bob weight is hanging exactly at 0
degrees. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Other than that there is Radial tire pull. a very v common problem and
the previous recommendations a bout swapping the tire side to side is
standard check for this. Also rear axle steer if the springs are severly
arched is possible as the spring gets longer as it is compressed flatter
which can move the position of the rear axle. other than that there os
no magic no phantom stuff. assuming the front end is in good condition .
I have seen a siezed shocjk hold a car out of alignement but that is
rare.
Measure also to see the wheelbase is the same both side of the car.
Short side always pulls. infact the condition is known as short side
pull and was used by some aligmnment guy including me to offset for the
tendancy of the crown of the road to pull the car slighty toward the
ditch as you drove. By puttng a 1/2 degree + caster in the drivers side
that made that side just a wee bit shorter and would hold the car
straight even on a crown road.
Don
Author of
Return to Deutschland (True Adventure)
Old Reliable (Mopar)
http://stores.ebay.ca/Don-Dulmage-Enterprises

spigot2039@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think the original specifications were for for bias tires.  Radial
> tires allow more positive caster / camber.
>
> See if the chart on this page helps.
>
> http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml
>
> Thanks,
> Gary H.