RE: 383 blowing? oil

Hello,

As already said the oil pressure sender is a know problem with these.
Also verify that the PCV valve is working and connected correctly.

This may not be your problem however I'll tell you about a major
screw-up I made with my 383 that resulted in similar problem:

When I cleaned up the engine to put in the car I installed the wrong oil
filler cap - a non-vented cap that looked like a breather but was not.

The PVC valve worked very well, it sucked in the valve cover gasket a
couple of times before I discovered my mistake.  I even ordered new
valve covers noting that one of mine was not completely flat where it
seated on the head.

I started getting oil on the valley pan behind the intake manifold.  I
thought it was coming from the distributor, new gasket here did not
help.

I finally discovered my problem with the breather cap.  By then I was
getting a lot of oil in the valley pan, I had two cracks in the pan
directly below the carb from it flexing.

Everything is back together and doing just fine now.

As a side note probably not related the the breather problem I had the
left rear spark plug had very heavy deposits on it and the compression
of that cylinder was much higher than the rest.

When I pulled the intake manifold I found that the valley pan was
leaking oil into the intake port for that cylinder.

I have found that for my engine, heads and intake I need to use the
metal valley pan without a gasket between it and the heads and a fiber
gasket between the valley pan and the intake.

The spark plug is now burning clean, the compression is back down to
where it should be, the carbon and oil deposits must be burnt off of the
piston and head.

None of this may relate to your problem but it may give you something to
think about.

Good Luck
Dennis C.

W.A. Edison wrote:

> Having gotten my 64 Sport Fury 383 together, I've now driven it probably
> 700
> miles. I did nothing to the motor because it seems to be very
> responsive,
> makes no unusual noises, no exhaust smoke. Some of those miles have been
> showing off of course :)  I did an oil change, added zinc, before I
> started
> driving the car any distances or under any stress.
>
> I'm down about a quart of oil. The car is not burning any oil, but does
> have
> two leak sources. One is the valve covers. The other...bit of a mystery
> me. I find some oil residue on the firewall, but also find small puddles
> of
> oil on the engine behind the carb, in the depressions on the intake
> manifold. I also notice some oil smoke coming from one of the breathers
> on
> the valve covers after driving the car for an hour or so.
>
> Any ideas on where the oil collecting on the back of the intake manifold
> would be appreciated. Thank you,
>
> Butch/Ferndale, WA

1996 Dodge Ram 3500 Van Conversion
1964 Plymouth Belvedere 318 Auto
1963 Plymouth Sport Fury 383 4-speed
1949 Dodge Pickup 289/C4 soon to be changed
1998 Honda Valkyrie Standard

----