RE: How to find a leak in a gas tank

Brian,
Are you positive it’s the fuel tank? Meaning, is the gas smell in your garage a new occurrence since you replaced the tank float? Or, does the gas smell dissipate if the car is not in the closed garage? Just trying to rule out anything else, like a lawnmower, gas can, or used rag. Otherwise, since you recently worked with the fuel tank it could be a possible source and since you can’t find any liquid leak, what you smell might be the vapors escaping from the upper area of the tank above the fuel level. The areas these vapors could be escaping from would be the gas cap, the filler neck-to-tank seal or the seal for the sending unit and locking ring. On the other hand, these fumes could just as well be coming from somewhere else like the engine compartment maybe?

Dave B.