Re: How to tighten a nut/bolt through the firewall

Re: How to tighten a nut/bolt through the firewall

Good Idea. Will have to remember that when I dont have someone to hold the wrench on the other side.

Butch Edison wrote:
The dual chamber master cylinder I got for my disc brake conversion did not have integrated solid bolts like the single m/c I took off, so was faced with a situation you all have encountered: how to tighten a nut on a bolt through the firewall when working alone. My solution was to use a long box end wrench and a rare earth magnet. I put the bolt through the firewall, put the wrench on the bolt where it would be braced in place, then put the rare earth magnet over the wrench and bolt head. Then I went inside the car and tightened the nut as usual. The magnet held the wrench on the bolt head securely enough that I could tighten the nuts from the inside. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but it worked for me. /Butch/Ferndale, WA

----