replacing gaskets: engine oil pan and Torquflite

replacing gaskets: engine oil pan and Torquflite

Welcome to the new year everyone. My son and I spent a good deal of the
holidays rebuilding the front end of one of my 64 Sport Furys and converting
the drum brakes to disc. Both the oil pan and transmission pan were leaking,
so dropped them both to re-seal. Some questions I have, would appreciate
your help:

Engine Oil pan: I'd pre-purchased a rubber and steel oil pan gasket. To my
surprise, when I dropped the oil pan, there is a windage tray on the motor.
This wasn't done in 1964 for 383 engines from the factory. I'm assuming
whoever rebuilt the engine put it in for a reason, so will stick with it, so
do I need another gasket to go on top of the windage tray? You may have
other, better ideas. Sealant? If so, what type and any cautions about use
would be appreciated. I flattened out all the dimples around the bolt holes
on the pan, so am pretty much good to go there.

Transmission pan: The car has the original ball & trunnion set up, A727
transmission.
1. I can see that someone put in a chrome dipstick tube, which prompts my
first question. With the pan off, I can see that the dipstick only protrudes
into the oil sump about 3/8". If you have a similar setup, do you recall if
this is correct? Seems weird to me that the markings for low-high on the
dipstick are actually a ways up the dipstick into the tube.
2. The only gasket I could get through my local parts house is a cork and
rubber gasket. I've not changed a gasket in 40 years, but hated the cork
ones we used at that time. Lot of mumbo jumbo then about soaking the
gaskets, using gasket sealer, catching a full moon, doing a secret
handshake, etc. How do you recommend sealing up the transmission pan.
3. I got about 4 1/2 quarts of tf fluid when I dropped the pan. That seems
like a lot, which is why I questioned the length of the dip stick. Assuming
I put in the amount I got out, should I put in 3 quarts before starting the
engine, run it for a minute, then add another quart with the engine off,
test from there? I'd seen some cautions previously about adding too much
initially and don't want that, but also don't want to starve the
transmission.

Thanks all. /Butch/ Ferndale, WA

----