RE: 383 running rough?

Jim,
	Sounds like it's rich when the choke is on (cold).  Depending on
which AFB you have there is a cold setting spec. for the choke pull-off (the
little vacuum diaphragm with the vacuum hose running to it).  Generally you
pull the pull-off back by hand (or by applying vacuum to the hose) and
measure the opening at the upper edge of the choke plate, between the choke
plate and the air horn.  This is easily measured using drill bits.

	If you don't have the setting for your specific carb, you can start
by increasing the opening mentioned above in very small increments until the
engine runs smoothly when cold.  This is likely to be a long an tedious
process, but without a spec to go by you're in "hit and miss" mode.

	Increase the opening by gently squeezing (closing) the "U" shaped
portion of the vacuum pull-off rod - it is the small diameter rod that goes
from the choke plate lever to the end of the vacuum pull-off (opposite end
from the vacuum hose).  If you get to the point that the car won't stay
running cold, you've gone too far and need to open the "U" up a bit.
	If you have a drill index, shoot to open the gap 1/16" with each
adjustment until she runs smooth.

	Just bear in mind that we're talking very minute adjustments.  Too
many large adjustments will have you looking for a new "U" shaped rod.

	Clear as mud?

SC