To: <1962to1965mopars@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:32 AM
Subject: RE: Holley carb ID - warning - long read

Gary,
I never really had the chance to compare to the six-pack - we only
drag raced the car with the six-pack (no street use) and always planned on a
gallon a pass no matter what.

As for the single 4 bbl, the Sport Fury came with the 350hp 440.
The OE Holley was generally either leaking, stumbling or on fire so I never really checked the fuel economy. Once the dual quads went on I could rarely
drive the car without knocking the front carb open for my listening
enjoyment.  Ditto for the Wagoon.  I had always surmised that with the
progressive linkage that there was less throttle opening required for a
given rate of acceleration, and as long as the A/F ratio was properly
adjusted at idle everything was pretty much same-same.  I also fantasized
that with improved fuel distribution (due to one carb over each cluster of
intake passages) that efficiency was actually improved. Highly unlikely but
it felt good at the time.

Honestly at that point in my life (early 80's) I don't remember even
considering fuel economy. I do recall that the crossram cars got between 7
and 9 MPG in the 90's but they were never driven gingerly either. Sorry I
can't be more help-

SC