RE: Converted 4-door

Dennis J. wrote:

> I realize that as we get older, Our hearing and eyesite tend not to be
> as good as it once was, but I've looked at those pictures, at least 5
> times and I do not see that car as a converted 4 dr. to a 2 dr. The roof
>
> doesn't appear to be cut and the interior floors and side panels of the
> rear seat area show no cuts or welding either. Granted I'm not an
> expert, but I guess someone with a lot more knowledge than me will have
> to point out where this was changed. The exterior body work on the core
> car, doesn't necessarily mean it was converted. JM2CW >

To add a little bit to what Bill P. posted the 4 door hardtop/sedan and
the 2 door post cars are all the same chassis/roofline in '64-'65. The 2
door hardtops obviously had a different roofline, but were the same
chassis. In '62-'63 the 2 door hardtop had the same roofline as the 2
door post, so there was essentially only 1 chassis/roofline that
supported 4 different models.

When you get these cars down to the bare shell it's easy to see how it
was done. The 4 door rear door line/opening is obvious. To build the
chassis as a post body a stamped inner structure that held the window
crank regulator/mechanism and vertical post assembly were added, then
longer post quarter panels were hung. No problem really for a good body
guy; Drill out the spot welds and add the correct pieces. No
modifications are needed to the roof or floor pans. When guys were doing
the conversions years ago post car shells were a little easier to find.
They'd cut the quarters off the donor and weld them on their car. Now,
they'll use the left over 4 door skins for patches (which is what you
see in the Mosher pics), and use hardtop doors and build the window
frames out of sections of 4 door frames because post doors are nearly
impossible to find. As time goes on it's my opinion more of these cars
are going to get cobbled together whether it's done right or not.

That brings me back to the whole conversion/cost/resale discussion. For
some guys investing or buying a converted car isn't a problem, for me it
is.  I wouldn't spend 6 figures on a converted 4 door nor would I spend
the same, or more, for a '70 Hemi Cuda clone convertible that started
out as a 6 cylinder hardtop. IMO, there is a stigma attached to a
conversion. It remains to be seen if these cars can get the money in a
resale market.

Dave Walters
Aurora, Co.

----