Torqueflite Cable Adjustment

I need some sage advice.  I'm trying to get my shift cable adjusted properly and am somewhat lost.  Here's where it is right now:

Reverse Button won't stay pushed in.
Neutral Button in - tranny in Reverse
Drive Button in - tranny in Neutral
2nd Gear Button in - tranny seems to be in Drive
Parking Lever will only engage with the Neutral Button (as it should), but then that puts the tranny in Reverse.
The car starts only in Drive (which is neutral inside the tranny).

I made the adjustments with the pan off and tried to use 1st as the starting point.  At times, the lever in the transmission wouldn't go all the way back when the first gear button was depressed as we ran it through the gears to check it - even though I locked down the cable with it in first.  The most puzzling thing is that the reverse button won't stay in on the dash.

Any quick advice from those who've been where I am?  I'm going back out and try to push the cable in farther to get it synched up.  I'll check back later to see any ideas I'm not thinking of in case I'm still stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
'64 Belvedere

----