Project report

1964 Dodge 440 2 dr hdtp-413-4 speed. I had the engine and tranny mocked up so I could make sure all the mounts line up --clutch linkage installed except for that elusive 62-65 big block in a B body clutch fork--- 4 speed floor hump--and Hurst correct shifter (new but less linkage) Also rounded up a 742 case surgrip and 65 cornet housing for later use. Am now looking for a good 3.55-3.73 ring and pinion. Now I know it all fits together, so I took it all out again. Rolled the car outside, jacked it up , removed the torsion bars. Today I took the upper A frames loose from the subframe and dropped the entire K member - steering- and brakes-hubs. Two impressions: how simple the suspension is compared to my 56 Chrysler, and Those four K member bolts had me sweating bullits. fraid of breaking one off ( or more!) Idea--what harm would be in drilling a small hole in frame side to spray penetrating oil on those bolt threads? Next step is scraping old grease, sandblasting with silica( fine) and painting sub-frame and firewall. Question: Personally, I don't want base coat-clear coat on my car. I prefer enamel with hardner. What primer (or process) can I use over the fine sandblasted metal to make it smooth for paint without doing hand sanding? I was thinking a high build epoxy primer -slow drying to flow out better? or a primer with slow thinner , also in attempt to get it to flow out and dry smooth. I am not familiar with the new paints and they tell me to forget everything I knew about the way we used to do it! :-) Any experienced ideas out there?....................MO

----