RE: Progress report

Thanks for your input Dennis. I don't believe my words were exactly
correct regarding to actual split second time. It was starting to sound
a little "off" just prior and during the tightening.

I have never had this backfire with "light colored" smoke, I'd say
bluish, except after I filled up the tank and added the Lucas octane
booster. I do believe the rockers adjusters may be loosening but I'm not
real sure the fuel isn't contaminated whether it's the octane booster or
something else. This is a new issue since that fill up. I have it
diluted some now and will be able to dilute it some more shortly.

The pushrods have been swapped during the adjustment. They are straight
and the stock ones. I do have a fuel pressure gauge. It's the third one.
I really don't trust them. They are notorious for not working right.
This one says I'm running 5 to 6 psi. The last one would show zero fuel
pressure one day and then 6psi the next day. All the time while running
fine. It wasn't zero!

I will not give up. This is a challenge. This engine will run right
before I step in any other direction.

I will check every possibility. I'm going to even pour some fuel in a
container and see if anything settles out. Also a compression test and
leak down. I do have a stock dist as a last resort but I feel the
ignition system is working good finally. I'll check each wire with the
timing light too. We'll have plenty of info when I'm done but it may
take a few days. Batten the hatches we're going to war:-)

----