Re: Torsion Bars

${top_text_ad}
well on one end a hex face  sits nice and flat to the floor, on the
opposite end  the hex end rests on a point, not a flat face,  (  just
for  a word , lets call this dis-equilibrium) but i still dont get it,
  how do u know which direction it twists to acheive that
disequilibrium, it could be twisting either way to acheive that.
  neal zimmerman, eugne oregon

On 6/29/09, Gary H. <spigot2039@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Think of the torsion bar as a coil spring that has been straightened; "a
> length of spring steel that consistently returns to its original position
> after being distorted (twisted), as its main, weight-bearing spring. One end
> of the bar is held in place firmly to the chassis while the other end is
> attached to a perpendicular lever that attaches to the axle, suspension arm,
> or spindle. Vertical motion of the axle causes the torsion bar to twist
> around its axis and is resisted by the bar's torsion resistance. The spring
> rate of this style of suspension system is determined by the length and
> diameter of the bar and by the length of the fulcrum points of the arm."
> http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0902sr_putting_torsion_bars_on_a_hot_rod/index.html
>
> Do you notice a difference in the stationary end vs. the end that twists?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary H.

${bottom_text_ad}
----