RE: 440 Source Stroker Kits/was Heads

plypkup41@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks Dave,that seems to be the general consensus,heads are good
> springs and valves not so much.What about their stroker kits?Anyone have
> opinions on the parts they use in there kits?
>
> Dean Miller

Their kits are good for the budget minded build, but you should always
spend a few more bucks having the parts checked/corrected by a machine
shop before using. I wouldn't consider any of it suitable to use
out-of-the-box without being checked out. A nice step up would be the K1
cranks and K1 or CompStar rods, especially if you consider the
possibility of additional crank work that might be needed. I'd also get
the balancing done locally.

I have one of Brandon's first run of 4.25 RB stroker cranks still
sitting in my garage. It has .001" of taper across one main and .0005"
across two others. A couple of the rod journals were .0004"-.0005" out
of  round. This crank would have to be turned .010" in order for me to
be comfortable using it in a 700+HP combo.

P.S. The usual suspect will likely chime in to say that there is nothing
wrong with those taper and roundness numbers. Each person has their own
tolerances for acceptability in a given application.

Dave Walters
Denver,CO.

----