Re: How are our Aussie friends???

Hello Rich

Me personally am ok, I live near Melbourne, and am about 50 to 60 kms from the fire areas, and there are many areas still on fire.
There are whole townships that have been burnt to the ground.
The houses and assets can be replaced in time, but living things cant.

We have lost about 170 people so far (confirmed dead), many people are in hospital with burns, and the loss of wildlife and other animals is so sad.

The weather now is good, about 20 degrees, but on the day (sunday) of the main fires, it got up to 46 degrees,I think its a new Victorian record for the hottest day ever recorded. Also, the wind on the sunday was over 50 kmph, which caused most of the problems.
I beleive the speed of the fire is what caught every body out?

We also have had very little rain here, so every thing was dry and easy to burn.

Below is our Melbourne news paper for you to read if you want to?
There are also many good luck stories to be read.
One thing that has also impressed me with most of these people, they also escaped with there pets but little else.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/

Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Kinsley" <rlkinsley@xxxxxxxxx>