Re: Battery, Alternator or Regulator problem '64 Sport Fury

Re: Battery, Alternator or Regulator problem '64 Sport Fury

Car started, no problem with connections or starting system!  As far as CD
player and other items going dead each item needs X amount of voltage to
operate.  When the battery discharges below the required voltage that item
stops working, Verified by no blown fuses voltage just dropped below its
operating threshold.

Must be the charging system.  Simple check, first charge battery, next hook
volt meter to battery and check voltage, should be 12 volts when fully
charged.  Start car and check voltage, probably 12 volts or less than before
starting.  Now unplug the wire from the field tab (wire is probably green)
and for a short time using a screwdriver ground the tab that you unplugged
the wire from to the case of the alternator.  When you ground the tab with
the engine running you put the alternator into full field or full charge,
looking at the volt meter or have someone else look it should show 13.5 or
more volts and you might hear the engine being pulled down slightly from the
load.  If this happens your alternator is good and your voltage regulator is
probably bad.  If there is no increase in voltage while grounding the field
tab to the case, your alternator is probably bad.

Now a neat trick if your VR is bad.  AutoZone sells a replacement voltage
regulator VR706 that is solid state and replaces the relay one that came on
our cars. Just remove the covers from both regulators and replace the cover
from the new VR with the cover of the old one and there you have it today’s
tec that looks like original equipment. I ran a bead of silicone sealer
around the inside lip of the old cover to seal it. Works great!  This also
fixes the wobbly needle on your dash gauge at idle!

If your alternator is bad and they say they can't get a one field wire alt.
And all they have is a two wire alt.!  No Problem!  Just ground one of the
field tabs to the case and plug the field wire into the other one.  The
alternator doesn't care witch field tab you ground or witch one you connect
the wire to just make sure one of them is grounded to the case.

Now if you are uneasy grounding the field internally you can always make up
a plug and a short wire lead with an eyelet on the other end and plug it
into the extra field lead and ground the eyelet through a case bolt.

Just a recommendation, I would replace the voltage regulator with the VR706
any way even if your alternator is bad.  It's best to replace the regulator
with a new alternator, as that could be the cause of it's failure.

Sorry, Sort of long winded here but if you have any questions please feel
free to ask.

Herb

1963 Fury 2D/HT 6.1
1963 Sport Fury Convertible 361